Hybrid or MTB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyStephens

I'm looking for some advice on buying a bike. I haven't ridden a bike for 15 years (apart from briefly borrowing a MTB for half an hour recently). I seem to remember that I was never keen on the hunched over riding position of MTBs, which resulted in it feeling like I was putting too much weight on the handlebars. I also found it a bit uncomfortable keeping my head up to see where I was going.

I like the thought of a hybrid/comfort bike, and have my eye on the Specialized Expedition Sport - it's at the top end of my budget (around £300) and comes in XL (suitable for my 6'6" height). However I'm not sure how much you can do with them "off road". I expect to be using a new bike mostly on cycle paths, dirt tracks/farm tracks, and paths that run around the edge of farm fields (of which there are plenty nearby) - a bit bumpy and rutted, and maybe muddy at times, but nothing too severe. While I won't be going down steep mountain sides over boulders and fallen trees, I was hoping that I might be able to use such a bike on "gentler" bike trails (I'm not far from the Coed Llandegla mountain bike trail centre - I've never been but I've heard it's great).

The alternative would be a MTB again - something like the Specialized Hardrock (again around £300 and available in XXL), but I'm concerned that I won't like the riding position as before. I really like the idea of the upright, comfortable riding position of the hybrid, but don't want to be sorry in a few months time when I find that it's only really meant for commuting and cycle paths.

Look forward to any advice/suggestions.

Andy

Cyclist33

I would have said a mtb is more upright than a hybrid, or should be. I would also think that it would be better to get a mtb if youre considering trail centres coZ even if a hybrid can cope with the blue routes, you might find yourself limited if you then want to progress to red.

Stu

OP
OP
A

AndyStephens

The forum kept removing the image but there should be a link above now. I prefer the idea of the hybrid for the comfort side of things, but I'm just not sure what kind of terrain it could handle. I've read that they can be used on "forest trails" but that's a bit vague! I could do with some clarification on how much I'm going to be able to do on a bike like this. Presumably the narrow wheels will be what limits it from anything too rough?

Peteaud

Veteran
I would have said a mtb is more upright than a hybrid, or should be. I would also think that it would be better to get a mtb if youre considering trail centres coZ even if a hybrid can cope with the blue routes, you might find yourself limited if you then want to progress to red.

Stu

+1

And the red routes are the interesting ones.

Crosstrailer

Andy

I have a 2012 Specialized Crosstrail Comp and my brother has a 2013 Hardrock Sport Disc

To be honest both are upright riders and there is very little difference in riding position between the two. If you were hunched over on an MTB then I would wager that you were riding a bike that was too small for you being 6'6. I'm 6'4 and my old British Eagle MTB is smaller than my correctly sized Crosstrail and I am a little hunched over on that.

I would suggest if you are interested in Specialized (a wise choice LOL) visit one of their concept stores and in return for a deposit you can have an extended test ride to make sure the bike you are interested in is suitable for you in all aspects including its intended use. They will also ensure your setup is correct for your height.

To refer back to the Crosstrail, it is a decent paced bike on the road but I also use it for riding in local forests etc without any issue and it rides on 700c wheels with 45 tyres. As Stu has said if you are going to be riding more developed runs you will need an MTB rather than a Sport Hybrid. I am not familiar with the Expedition as I don't think it has been continued into 2013, perhaps others could advise on the spec etc.

Lastly, have you considered a nearly new bike on the second hand market ?. You can make huge savings where someone has bought a new bike at some expense and then decided to sell it due to lack of use. With Specialized they have a build date sticker on the frame which is of use so you know what model year you are buying, you can save a fortune by buying a bike that is only a few months old and then getting it serviced to make sure it is ok.

Whatever type of bike you end up choosing, welcome back to cycling

OP
OP
A

AndyStephens

Thanks for all the replies. I suspected my MTB position was down to the bike being the wrong size, as I was a bit more naive back then and probably didn't worry about frame size. Might pay a visit to my local Specialized store to try a few for size - only a few miles away in Chester!

Cyclist33

Good store the one in Chester. Another point in favour of an mtb eg hard rock, is geometry: at that budget the suspension will be basic, it'll be ok for sure but if down the line you want to spend a couple hundred on a wise upgrade, the bikes geometry will be largely unaffected. Unlike say if you bought that Expedition, it would be hard to come by better forks of the same size.

Stu

Top Bottom