Hybrid or road bike for climbing hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Lower gearing is generally less amazing than you might imagine. You get used to the ratios and it soon feels as hard as before.

I tend not to use the 26 ring much unless the gradient goes above 10% but it always feels a great relief. I have used it on occasions when I feel shattered to drop down in effort to zone 2 and gently spin.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Hehe, thats not low 26 chainset-40 cog

^_^

Or 22 / 34 for a very slightly lower gear for less weight. Old school mtn bike gearing from 15 years ago.

CXRAndy

Guru
Or 22 / 34 for a very slightly lower gear for less weight. Old school mtn bike gearing from 15 years ago.

I can't use that chainring. Im using a XTR Di2 triple front derailleur, which has a short-ish cage, Im using it to its limits accommodating 48t down to 26t.

I really dont need any lower, as >25% are generally few and far and not long in duration. Im knocking on 100kg so a few grams nothing to worry about

johnblack

Über Member
A road bike would always win for me uphill, I don't think a hybrid would come close. 39-28 is the lowest I've got on my summer bike, haven't had anything beat me yet but think I might move to 36-32 for my 50th, the knees are starting to complain.

delb0y

Legendary Member
When I bought my first new bike about a dozen years ago (for the preceding 30 I'd been riding the same same Sun five speed I had in my teens!) the salesman in my LBS sold me a Claud Butler Roubaix telling me that the gears were low enough that I'd be able to get up "anything around here". Foolishly, I believed him. And half-killed myself failing to get up many of them. Eventually I took advice and put a bigger cassette on the back. Still couldn't get up some of the hills. Put a compact on the front. Nope, still found hills I couldn't get up. Then, about ten years ago, I bought the Tricross. Triple on the front, big cassette on the back, and suddenly some of the hills that I couldn't get up before I now could.

But still not all of 'em...

Last year- or was the year before? - I invested in a Giant Toughroad SLR2. Flat-barred touring / gravel / hybrid thing, and for the first time I've been able to get up all the hills I've put before it. These gears are low (19") but that's what I needed. You may be younger, fitter, lighter, stronger... But for me that's what I needed.

I've now put equivalent gears on the Tricross and it's like the best of both worlds - light (compared to the Toughroad) but with low gears. Only trouble is the brakes...

OP
OP
M

Mick54

Many thanks for all the replies,opted for the Boardman as shown and a big improvement with gearing and tyres compared to my last bike

Attachments

• 20191024_171238.jpg
    20191024_171238.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom