Hybrid rider buying road bike - unsure what spec to go for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I have never considered gearing specs until now, but since starting to look at prospective road bikes to complement my 4 year old Specialized Sirrus Pro hybrid, the issue has got me perplexed. All I knew was that my Sirrus is quite light and quick for a hybrid, and that it is 20 speed. I take it out 3 or 4 times a week and usually cover about 30-35 miles a ride. Having been grounded due to mechanical failure for a week or so I have decided to buy another bike and thought a road bike would be a good choice.

My budget is around £600 to £700, but I would stretch a bit further for the right bike. Looking at websites of big suppliers like Evans, it seems that many bikes in my budget range have 8 or 9 speed cassettes, usually with a range between 11-32; to get a 10 speed cassette you usually have to spend a bit more, but the lowest gear is often 28t, rather than 32t which I would prefer for more challenging hills (being in my mid 50s and a bit overweight).

I don't know if I am being a bit too fussy about this, but I would prefer the extra versatility of the 10 speed cassette as well as the lower 32t ratio. After all, whilst I want a quicker bike to be able to cover more distance, my main aim is that distance rather than sports-like performance.

Having looked around and visited a local bike shop, I am quite taken by the Merida Ride 100, which is £675 and has an 8 speed 11-32 cassette, but for another £200 that could be the Merida Ride 300 which has a 10 speed 11-32 cassette and a slightly lighter frame.

Would be interested to know what anyone thinks about whether £200 pound extra for 2 more cogs is worth it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Presumably it's not only the cassette but also the shifters? Tiagra vs Claris? I'd pay the extra. Ride them both. Only you can decide if it's worth the extra. But you could regret it and it'll cost you more to get the gearing you want. You could get a bike with Tiagra or 105 for less than £900. Unless it has to be a Merida? Negotiate a discount with the dealer if so

Paul's cycles have a Defy 1 for £630. Go look at the frame at a Giant retailer? A relaxed geometry with 22 speed and an 11-32/50-34 set up

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p6990/GIANT-DEFY-1-2016

Last edited:
OP
OP
Roadhump

Roadhump

Thanks for that advice. I will go and have a look at the Defy 1 at the Giant shop locally. Interestingly Paul's also have a Merida Ride 400 for the same price as the Defy 1 which would be one model up again. I suppose the disadvantage with Paul's is that it would have to be a mail order job as I live too far away to collect, which would mean I couldn't try the frame for size. I am 5'9" and therefore borderline between either a 54 or 56 cm frame.

vickster

Legendary Member
Based on a defy I tried in the past, I'd say you'd be a medium, unless you are all torso and no leg, then maybe a M/L at a stretch (I'm the other way round, all my roadbikes are 54cm)

Paul's have a good rep for mail order but buying local is always safer, especially if you can get a price match or discount

Giant stores are selling the defy 1 for £720

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/sale

Last edited:

GlenBen

Über Member
You could always get 10speed and change the cassette later on? Or go in the middle and have 9speed with a 32.

I personally wouldnt pay the extra for 10speed as I dont notice a huge difference, but plenty of others would.

What gears are you running on the sirrus?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
IMG_0872.JPG
This one is full carbon, 20 speed SRAM apex, Mavic Aksium with 12/32 cassette for £640!
You won't be able to try before you buy but if you know what size you require then it's worth a punt. All sizes available.
At 5ft 9" I would go 54cm. If you feel you are between sizes then always better to go smaller.
http://www.startfitness.co.uk/sale/...e-sport-sram-apex-carbon-road-bike-for66.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Roadhump

Roadhump

You could always get 10speed and change the cassette later on? Or go in the middle and have 9speed with a 32.

I personally wouldnt pay the extra for 10speed as I dont notice a huge difference, but plenty of others would.

What gears are you running on the sirrus?
My Sirrus has a 10 speed 12-28 cassette and 34-50 front rings. I was quite surprised at this as I though a hybrid would be intended to be more versatile, but then I did have the whole drivetrain renewed about 3 months ago, and I suspect it previously went as low as 32. I can get up the few hills around here okay (I live in Southport and most of my cycling is around S.W. Lancs and North Merseyside - a vey flat region), and on the rare occasions I have ventured over towards more hilly terrain around Wigan, which I would like to do more often, I have coped but with a struggle on some hills so a lower option could be the difference between a stroll and a ride.

Having said that, whilst the Sirrus is quite light for a hybrid, I have made mine heavier by adding a rack and bag in which I carry my lock, I wouldn't do that with a road bike and that might help a bit.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My wife has the Defy 1 in a Medium and she's 5 foot 10. I'm 6 foot and my TCR is a M/L, I think you'll be a Medium in Giant sizes.
That gear spread on the Defy is really, really useful, just what you're looking for I'd say, and 105 kit as well... they ride superbly, very fast, lovely handling on descents, and the frame is so stiff and light. I suffer slight bike envy when I ride hers.

OP
OP
Roadhump

Roadhump

I treated myself to this a few weeks back, it's a cracking bike for the money, full carbon fork, 28mm tyres & mudguard bosses
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-technique-sora-2016/
or for a few quid more,
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-technique-tiagra-2016/
I don't think you can go wrong for the price.
I haven't heard of that make but they both look like very good value indeed. Although I have been cycling for several years, my knowledge doesn't seem that good. I have heard of most of the well known brands, such as Giant, Scott, Trek etc, and also names of components such as SRAM, Shimano, but their sub-brands like Sora and Tiagra are new to me and I don't know which are supposed to be the better quality ones. Something else that occurred to me having looked at your 2 links is that they have 28mm tyres. I was thinking of going for 25mm as I guess this would reduce resistance. I am sure you could easily change them if you wanted though.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Just Google "Shimano hierarchy" and similar for other makes, you'll get a run down of each range. Tiagra are good, 105 better, Ultegra are next, and Dura Ace are top of the shop. Claris and Sora are budget end, but they're Shimano so they work fine. The differences are really about weight, shifting performance and aesthetic.
Don't worry about the difference between 28mm and 25mm, to cut quite a long and boring story short, they both roll fine. Some will say 28 have a smidge more comfort.

I haven't heard of that make but they both look like very good value indeed. Although I have been cycling for several years, my knowledge doesn't seem that good. I have heard of most of the well known brands, such as Giant, Scott, Trek etc, and also names of components such as SRAM, Shimano, but their sub-brands like Sora and Tiagra are new to me and I don't know which are supposed to be the better quality ones. Something else that occurred to me having looked at your 2 links is that they have 28mm tyres. I was thinking of going for 25mm as I guess this would reduce resistance. I am sure you could easily change them if you wanted though.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Stealth ad here @Roadhump

In my garage I have a 56cm Cube Peloton SL. It's 11 speed with 105 chai set and brakes, ultegra everything else.

I got it on cycle to work and used it as a donor bike as it was a tad too small for me at 5'11"

I rode the components a few dozen miles and crashed out of cycling. The insurance paid out for the frame I was on and I put the Cube back to full spec, and upgraded some other bits to make myself another bike on the new frame.

You therefore could get a virtually unused Ultegra spec bike for well within your budget. I'm next to Junct 23 M62.

PM me if you're interested. I'm at home all day every day for the foreseeable future.

DRM

Guru

Verenti is Wiggles in house brand, the Sora is 9 speed, 11 to 28 cassette, the Tiagra version is 10 speed, 12 to 28 cassette, with shimano RS10 wheel set, which would cost £85 if you bought them as an upgrade, I have fitted my shimano R500 wheels to the new bike which roll really well, the 28 mm tyres are really comfy, and, I can't tell any worse performance with regard to rolling resistance, when compared to the 25 mm continental GP4000S fitted on my Giant Defy, in fact as it was dry on sunday A.M I managed the best average speed over 55.5km since I was taken ill in september, 14.2 mph into what seemed like a constant headwind, I'm sure it was chasing me!
Oh and the Defy is a brilliant comfy bike too.

Top Bottom