Hybrids, Racers & Bad Backs ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I get lower back and neck pain due to compression, I sit at my computer a lot!

I find that riding my hybrid is OK but riding my old Dawes racing bike doesn'yt give me any problems at all.

It's the set-up of your new bike that you need to get right and a good Local Bike Shop [rather than a Halfords store] will guide you through that and get you sitting on various bike arrangements to sort out what size frame [for leg reach], and what stem size/handlebar/saddle arrangement [for upper body reach] would be ideal for your specific back problem.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I've had a bad back for much of my life and find cycling has helped my flexibility . I also use some cycling specific stretches before and after a ride . I still find distance to be a consideration , though . I ride my Giant Cypress hybrid on trips less than 15 miles , and ride my Schwinn Passage touring bike for any greater distances . Upright riding position seems to compress the spine .

Cubist

Still wavin'
Boardman hybrids are flat barred road bikes by any other name. Otherwise you can get an Audax style bike with a more upright geometry, or fit a riser stem to change the position of the bars.

This is a very apt thread for me, I have always rode a bike, be it a road or mtb.
About 5 years ago myself and the missus took cycling back up as a passtime on mtbs and really enjoyed it to the point that the bikes took over from the car completely, then the wife developed a slight knee niggle and went to see the Dr who sent her for an X-ray and within 3 weeks she had, had a FKN which meant she would not be riding for at least a year.........so we thought, but after what was a botched op she has now been told her riding days are over as the op wasnt needed and she has been permanently left disabled by the op, so after getting this news we decided to call it a day and just take up our photography a bit more but after 8/9 months my back was beginning to suffer and after 10 months I had a severe sciatica bout which lasted 14 weeks, my Dr told me it was down to my core muscles relaxing and me putting on a little midrift weight (hence the new bike) so riding is actually good if you have a bad back as it keeps it tight and held in place by certain muscles the dissapear fast if you go from regular riding to nothing, I dont know how it works for everyone but I seem to have adapted to being bent over and pedalling away to keep my back fit.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I find cycling helps both my back and my photography . A lot to be said for cyclings' core strengthening effects , and a pace by which you can see many things you missed before as photographic subjects

rovers1875

Veteran
Have a look at one of these, http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/pro...-12?bct=browse/bicycles/commuter-hybrid-bikes I was looking for a hybrid with slightly more off road ablility and was looking at the spesh crosstrail. But saw the courier pursuit, it had almost identical specs to the crosstrail and at the time it was on offer so I snapped it up for £380. It is used mainly for towpath / easy trail riding and has so far proved to be extremly competant and very comfy to boot.

gbb

Legendary Member
A bad back hasnt stopped me using a dropbar bike...
Muscular problems for decades which manifests itself as achy lower back for months on end, occasional stabbing pains and sore legs and feet, yet i'm reasonably comfortable bending forward for hours on my bike. In fact, after a visit to the docs recently when the discomfort was getting a bit too much to bear for so long, she was amazed i could ride at all for so long. She assumed i benefitted from a better core strength as a result of cycling (mind it doesnt feel like that to me sometimes).

Top Bottom