Hybrids, they don't exist!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
I think the term 'hybrid' is over used especially for 700c wheeled utility, leisure & city bikes. However there are some bikes that don't simply fit into normal categories & for those Hybrid is a useful encompassing term.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I've still got the hybrid I bought in 1994, a Raleigh Pioneer Trail. Last time I looked in the bike shed it still existed. It's definately a hybrid because Raleigh said it was.

P.H

Über Member
It's a meaningless term not because they don't exist, but because the vast majority of current bikes are a hybrid of one sort or another. The increasingly popular hybrid of a cross bike and tourer, the race bikes with tourer geometry, the race bikes with flat handlebars, the tourer with MTB gearing...

Norm

It's a meaningless term not because they don't exist, but because the vast majority of current bikes are a hybrid of one sort or another. The increasingly popular hybrid of a cross bike and tourer, the race bikes with tourer geometry, the race bikes with flat handlebars, the tourer with MTB gearing...
This!

It's not because they don't exist but the opposite, it is used for so many different styles of bikes that the word tells you nothing about the bike it is used to describe.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
What is that?
A ten speed.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
I remember one of the big US indoor/stationary-bike/gym equipment companies launching a range of bicycles in the 90s, cept they weren't bikes. They were 'outdoor trainers'.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

but a lot of road bikes are not for racing - you use a 'race bike' for that - but what about sportive bikes, and audax bikes, and CX bikes? They have drop bars too - and TT bikes, which don't have dropped bars?

Top Bottom