Hybrids, they don't exist!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MartinC

Über Member
What! There are more types of bikes than an ordinary or a safety?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
If we look at all the different bike categories - Trekking bikes, City Bikes, Utility bikes, Audax bikes, Sportive bikes, hard tail, rigid fork, dual suspension, full suspension, British Tourer, Dutch tourer, jump bike, bmx, racer, cross - it's no wonder the newcomer to cycling becomes bewildered.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm sorry, but the non-existence of hybrids is their most precious quality. Hybrids simply aren't - they are bikes that have no other definition. They will be geared, because they are not singlespeed or fixed bikes, they will have straight bars because they are not road or racing bikes, and they won't cost a lot because nobody is going to pay a fortune for a bike without an identity.

Mine's yellow, by the way

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I'm sorry, but the non-existence of hybrids is their most precious quality. Hybrids simply aren't - they are bikes that have no other definition. They will be geared, because they are not singlespeed or fixed bikes, they will have straight bars because they are not road or racing bikes, and they won't cost a lot because nobody is going to pay a fortune for a bike without an identity.

Mine's yellow, by the way

I know someone who just handed over £2K for a Trek 7.9FX ........... but it is a VERY nice bike, even if it has straight bars (carbon - of course!) - oh - it's black as well, very understated.

gbb

Legendary Member
Am i going against the grain here, personally IDGAF what theyr'e called :biggrin: . The myriad of other categories they could fall into would bewilder the average bike buyer....and me.
Ive got a 7.2FX...what the hell else would you call it other than a hybrid. I await enlightenment :wacko:

Norm

The problem with the name, imo, is that it obscures the basic question which the people who these very bikes are aimed at should be asking, which is "do you want to ride on or off road?"

By putting both in the same category, people are buying the wrong bikes on the basis that they've been told they should look at a hybrid.

potsy

Rambler
My Trek 7.1FX hybrid has been renamed 'The Shopper'
thumbsup.png

Norm

My Trek 7.1FX hybrid has been renamed 'The Shopper'
thumbsup.png
Indeed, one of mine was, 20 years ago, a rigid MTB.

20 years of neglect and slapping road tyres on it has turned it into The Hack, although its complement of guards and racks mean that it's also been The Commuter for the past few weeks. :biggrin:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The problem with the name, imo, is that it obscures the basic question which the people who these very bikes are aimed at should be asking, which is "do you want to ride on or off road?"

By putting both in the same category, people are buying the wrong bikes on the basis that they've been told they should look at a hybrid.

Norm perhaps I have misunderstood what you are saying, isn't it more likely that many if not most people want a non-threatening/simple (read flat bar) yet versatile (read road/mountain mixed componentry) bike when asked, hence the popularity of hybrids? or are you suggesting that such people would usually be better served by either drop bar CX or mtbs?

Norm

Norm perhaps I have misunderstood what you are saying, isn't it more likely that many if not most people want a non-threatening/simple (read flat bar) yet versatile (read road/mountain mixed componentry) bike when asked, hence the popularity of hybrids? or are you suggesting that such people would usually be better served by either drop bar CX or mtbs?
No, that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that people directed towards a "hybrid" for road use might end up with a rigid mountain bike with 26x2.1 mud tyres, or someone looking for a hybrid for canal paths might be directed to something with 700cc wheels and 23mm tyres.

To use an example I've posted before...
For example, this comparison came up recently. All three are marketed as "hybrids" but they range from a rigid mountain bike with road tyres in the Specialized Crosstrail to the Charge Mixer, which would be pretty fragile away from tarmac, IMO.

Top Bottom