Hybrids, they don't exist!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
You forgot the unicycle! ;)

No! Now some similarly heartless soul is going to bring up chopper, or lowrider, or beach bike, or ....
rolleyes.gif

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
Did I claim that it was finished?? :rolleyes:

They'll fall in here somewhere I spect.....

* Other fun stuff

Vintage, Classics and Designer Bikes

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I think the answer lies hereabouts......

http://www.dailybreadcycles.net/

From this, being a single speed with discs in all configurations, it seems fundamentally the Dailybread is a steel ss bike with 5 handlebar options and 2 rim/tyre options. I can see how a bike can be specified by and possibly categorised via different types of handlebars, front mechs, rear mechs, brakes, shift levers, brake levers, rims, tyres, front sus, rear sus etc., could you please explain how would this example help us to progress differentiation and relabelling of hybrids for folks on the street?

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
From this, being a single speed with discs in all configurations, it seems fundamentally the Dailybread is a steel ss bike with 5 handlebar options and 2 rim/tyre options. I can see how a bike can be specified by and possibly categorised via different types of handlebars, front mechs, rear mechs, brakes, shift levers, brake levers, rims, tyres, front sus, rear sus etc., could you please explain how would this example help us to progress differentiation and relabelling of hybrids for folks on the street?

The system never was fully formed in my head or on the website. We started it in 2006, put it on hold and when we resumed work other people had different ideas. My hope was that it would act as a navigation and categorization system.

Dailybread shows us that a change of just one part/parameter can transform the function of a bike. I wanted to be able to categorize any wheeled pedal powered device with as few clicks as possible.

As I said, I'm not presenting this as entirely thought out but it went a little something like this: (it would have been helped along by icons)

I'll let you guess what this is.

Number of wheels: Fewer than 2[ ] 2[ ] More than 2[x]
Number of riders: 1[x] 2[ ] More than 2[ ]
Riding position: Upright (leaning forward) [ ] Upright (upright) [x] Recumbent (semi) [ ] recumbent (very) [ ]
Wheel size: 12"[ ] 16"[ ] 20"[x]................etc............... 26"[ ] 700c[ ]
Surface: Road[ ] Street[x] Track[ ] Dirt[ ]
Fold/separate[ ] Not[x]
Load carrying: None[ ] |Some[x] Loads[ ]
Passengers: No[ ] One[ ] More than one[x]

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
20" wheels with more than two, one rider and passengers, I'm gonna guess rickshaw.
Yup.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Of course hybrids do exist, it is just quite a broad catagory.

This is my bike and I have no doubts about calling it a hybrid-

traffic10.jpg

MTB style frame, flat bars, triple chainset, tourer 700c wheels, road bike straight rigid forks and lots of eyes for mounting panniers etc. What else could it be if not a HYBRID?

Merlin

I hope you don't abolish hybrids before I get a chance to buy one. My first few bikes were tourers because in those days it was a choice between a tourer, a racer or a basket on the front (there might have been others but I didn't notice). I used to ride them on and off roads but there was a limit to how rough the off-road could be as I proved by breaking spokes and bending rims. So now I've got an MTB that will take anything that I've been brave enough to throw it at. But it's not ideal for riding around town e.g. it has clip-on pedals and I don't always want to take a change of footwear. So I could do with something more road-friendly but would still want to be able to go off-road occasionally. So what I want is something somewhere mid-way between a road-bike and my MTB, with strong wheels and frame, flat bars with indexed changers, good range of gears, possibly some suspension but not essential and tyres that will roll well on a paved surface but give me some grip off-road. I'd expect that to be called something like "hybrid".

MartinC

Über Member
A hybrid is anything that won't fit into one category. I'd suggest that whatever taxonomy you create they'll bikes that don't fit neatly into one category e.g. in the form that Mickle had Road, Street, Track, Dirt could could require more than one answer (and where does a polo bicycle fit, or the bikes they use in Frankurt airport?). If you create categories then you create hybrids.

Top Bottom