Hydration While Riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lozi

I started riding again 4 weeks ago after a few year hiatus and i have been doing 10 miles a day and 1 16 mile ride at some point each week, I'm riding my MTB currently and averaging around 12mph I'm not very fast i do put effort in. I have a chronic illness which means dehydration can be a ever present possibility.

I have always had a bottle of Lucozade Sport with my rides sometimes 2 if i do longer ones but today i realised how much sugar is in them!

I have decided to buy a bottle and stop drinking the Lucozade, everything i read says for 1hr/1.5hr rides like i am generally doing currently water is the preferred but i like to have some taste is there any reason i shouldn't use something like SIS hydro tablets? The non caffeine ones.

I know most people say its pointless on relatively short rides compared to what a lot of people do i just want to know if there's any down side to my use case with these tablets.

Thanks

Drago

Legendary Member
50/50 water/fruit juice, pinch of salt. Done. You can donate the cash you've saved to the Drago Foundation for the Criminally Insane.

Isotonic drinks are pretty easy to make. One traditional way is 1:1 water and fruit juice with a pinch of salt. The cheap cartons of fruit juice are fine for this.
Oral Rehydration Therapy (ORT ) isotonic mixes are the correct quantaties of sugar, salt and water.
Beware that sugar drinks are bad for your teeth esp in sipping mode.
I pre-hydrate with a big mug of tea then pee clear. You really dont need hydration during a 10mile ride unless there is a heat wave.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I drink like it's going out of fashion when riding, I easily get through two 750ml bottles most rides, sometimes more. I generally have one of water, and one of High5 tropical for the energy lift and the salts.
You can just do fruit juice and water as suggested, it's just as effective but note that fruit juice isn't free and the powders or tablets aren't really dear. Just drink whatever one you fancy.

OP
OP
Lozi

Lozi

Thanks guys a few options there, just to clarify i am doing road miles on my MTB currently and generally muddy canal tow paths is as off-road as i really get on it i use it as my winter bike.

Sharky

Guru
Just been out for an hours ride myself. A glass of water before I left, nothing on the ride and now drinking a nice cuppa tea.

Reactions: C R
Might be an idea to use big bottles OP.
On tough rides I find the normal bottles of about 750ml or less somewhat small.
I'd recommend 1 litre bottles.

On those longer rides one of my bottles has water with maltodextrin energy powder and a zero tab for flavour and electrolytes, the second has plain water which I sometimes use to make espressos.

si_c

Guru
I take a small bottle on rides over 15 miles but rarely use it, usually come back with it mostly full even on longer rides. If hot I take a bottle of water and one of high5 zero tabs - two to a small bottle as I like the flavour to be strong. Usually does me fine on rides up to 100miles.

For rides under 20miles you probably don't need anything at all, but if you have a medical condition then take just a bottle don't bother with any juice or anything, you won't need the sugar.

Have a banana when you get home.

DRM

Guru
Thanks guys a few options there, just to clarify i am doing road miles on my MTB currently and generally muddy canal tow paths is as off-road as i really get on it i use it as my winter bike.
A camelbak hydration bladder would be better as you’ve no idea what is getting sprayed onto your bottles, there can be all sorts of nasties in the mud/puddles such as dog/waterfowl faeces on the towpath, last thing you want is to ingest that.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I found that the fizzy tablets got expensive so now make my own with a bag of electrolytes from bulk powders. Cheap as chips and presumably delicious sprinkled over them.

tyred

Legendary Member
I just use water with or without orange or blackcurrant squash even on 100 mile rides. I never felt the need to use anything else but I suppose I'm not pushing it as hard as some do.

Top Bottom