Hydrocortisone cream 1%-the dangers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I've just been in to Boots for some hydrocortisone cream as I get dry patches of skin on my back (maybe bib straps doing it)

The grand inquisitor behind the counter asks me where I'll be applying it...

I laughed, and said 'I'll say my wrist'

'you can't put it on your genitals, I can't sell it to you!!!'

'So far in this conversation you're the only person who has mentioned applying it to my genitals. If you must know, I'm applying it to my back. Would you like me to strip so you can inspect each area?'

'NO!!!'

'listen, what I object to is being asked by someone who's as qualified as me. In the past I've been refused after I said I was putting some on a dry patch on my face, as directed by my doctor. I'm responsible enough to apply it where I see fit'

She was just doing her job, and I was being an arse, but what damage can it do? My back seems to be good with it... is it that potent?

Reactions: mjr

PK99

Legendary Member

D

Deleted member 26715

I had the same(ish) conversation the last time I wanted to buy some, which was actually for an area very close to my genitals as told to by my doctor, he said he wouldn't give me a prescription as it would be cheaper to buy it over the counter. In the end the Pharmacist & I agreed that I wouldn't use it as directed by the Doctor & would only use it on my Athletes foot which I didn't have.

At Tesco last week I tried to buy two boxes of asprin with the rest of my groceries. The cashier removed one box and said she could only sell me one.

It didn't stop me acquiring another box, at that same shop, within minutes of my failed purchase, so I don't see the point of this. I am over 21 by the way.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ivw had co-codamol refused when I was in collecting a prescription from upstairs in the doctors for the strong stuff. Came back a couple of minutes later with the strong stuff prescription.

Drago

Legendary Member
The theme here seems to be don't whack it on or near your undercarriage. Presumably the steroid bit makes your nads super sized or some such?

Dave7

Legendary Member
[QUOTE="Phaeton, post: 5452915, member: 26715"
which was actually for an area very close to my genitals
my Athletes foot
.[/QUOTE]
What!!! It measures a foot !!!:eek:

postman

Legendary Member
I also was asked the same question in Boots Chemist this year,anyway it did not work,so i went to the Doc's and he gave me DAKTACORT much much better it worked within three days.

On the recommendation of my doctor I had to take the full daily dose of Paracetamol for a couple of weeks. She asked if I wanted a prescription and I said not to waste NHS money (I am in Wales and get free prescriptions) as I would buy them from the local shops as they only cost around 50p a packet.

I could only buy two packets at a time so went round the supermarket four times in a few minutes, using the self-service tills each time to get my eight packs.

But rules is rules.

byegad

Legendary Member
The reduction in paracetamol rules came about because people were overdosing on the drug and taking a fortnight or more to die, so costing the NHS a fortune. It was designed to stop you buying a fatal dose in one go.
HOWEVER!
A visit to any large town and you calling into every chemists [for the 12 they were allowed to sell], would give you the necessary dose.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
They have to ask as it can cause a lot of problems in an area that has thin sensitive skin.

Some people use it as part of their daily routine on the face either to lighten the skin or they wrongly believe it will help prevent or lessen wrinkles. It has the potential to induce alsorts of skin conditions with prolonged use.

Self medicate an ailment that a cortisone cream will make worse.

Of course the people who do abuse it lie and rotate where they buy it anyway.

OP
OP
Dave 123

Dave 123

Legendary Member
They have to ask as it can cause a lot of problems in an area that has thin sensitive skin.

Some people use it as part of their daily routine on the face either to lighten the skin or they wrongly believe it will help prevent or lessen wrinkles. It has the potential to induce alsorts of skin conditions with prolonged use.

Self medicate an ailment that a cortisone cream will make worse.

Of course the people who do abuse it lie and rotate where they buy it anyway.

So why doesn’t it ruin the skin on my back?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
When I was popping paracetamol and ibuprofen like candy during my knackered back year, I used to just stand by the self service checkouts putting through multiple transactions.

Reactions: mjr

Andrew_P

In between here and there
So why doesn’t it ruin the skin on my back?
Not as thin or sensitive as facial or genital area but if used long enough you can get steroid induced skin conditions and atrophy skin thinning. On the back I doubt 1% cream would be an issue.

Top Bottom