Hygiene - a schoolboy error

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's covered under L8.

The duty holder is responsible for ensuring it happens.

And it generally does as the new guidelines for prosecutions mean it doesn't have to have infected anybody! Just happen
My point was that there is more risk from the inhalation of aerosols.

subaqua

What’s the point
My point was that there is more risk from the inhalation of aerosols.

oh hell yeah.

when I get home from Holidays its turn shower dial to slow flow , max temp Hold breath press start leave shower cube , shut shower cube door and leave run for 10 mins .

means we dont get the low level sniffles after Holidays . doing the L8 awareness course made it abundantly clear i was NEVER going to be the duty holder !

For anyone who is wondering what L8 is, it's the Health and Safety Executive's Code of Practice and Guidance on Legionella. It's application is in the workplace and work activities relating to water provision. It has nowt to do with water bottles carried on bikes.

keithmac

Guru
We were talking about legionnaires disease the other day, was the main cause aircon units dripping contaminated water into the streets?.

subaqua

What’s the point
We were talking about legionnaires disease the other day, was the main cause aircon units dripping contaminated water into the streets?.
It's standing water that grows the bacterium that can be turned into droplets. A toilet cistern if left long enough and flushed could in theory be a source . Unlikely but nevertheless theoretical .

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Water cooling units in the air conditioning at the Bellevue Stratford Hotel,and the bacteria thereof, which got into the ventilating system at the hotel. An American Legion convention was there, hence the name Legionella was applied to the bacteria when it was discovered and identified.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I left some orange squash in one of my bottles for almost a week once. Went I opened it, they were things growing. I had the 'bright' idea to wash it out and leave some TCP water mix in it overnight to sterilise it. Well it cleaned it ok, but after many rinses and water being left in it for days, it still tastes of TCP, so I had to bin the bottle. Lesson learned.
Eww

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
This thread has motivated me to clean my water bottles better!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4854458, member: 259"]I don't use reusable bottles on the bike as the whole idea is minging. I use water bottles from the shop and I top them up during the ride. And then I chuck them in the recycling bin.[/QUOTE]
:wacko: You are the poster child for bottled water industry's waste. :sad: You're more likely to win the lottery than get ill from washing up a bottle designed to be washed and reused.

Isn't that a very quick incubation period for a waterborne illness? (Not that I know shoot about the waterborne illnesses of the British Isles).
No idea about the British Isles, but I developed rather nasty symptoms within a few hours of drinking a contaminated soft drink in Washington DC xx( (believed to be the cause because it was about the only thing I'd consumed different to my lovely wife who was unaffected and very kind to me for the rest of that trip).

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4855499, member: 259"]Absolutely serious. The plates and cutlery get zapped in the dishwasher at 60 degrees.[/QUOTE]
It's a miracle that anyone without a dishwasher survives into adulthood.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It's a miracle that anyone without a dishwasher survives into adulthood.

I'm in my 50s and I've never owned a dishwasher

Anyway to the guy that won't re-use bottles - not being nasty but maybe you should try and rationalise this phobia. Possibly a hard thing to do but it is worth trying to understand and acknowledge these obsession type things even if you can't overcome it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Anyway to the guy that won't re-use bottles - not being nasty but maybe you should try and rationalise this phobia. Possibly a hard thing to do but it is worth trying to understand and acknowledge these obsession type things even if you can't overcome it.
I can't understand it. It seems much safer to use a bottle I've washed up myself and know where it's been, rather than every time re-play the lottery of trusting the distribution network and shop staff and all previous passing customers not to have sneezed on the bottle or otherwise contaminated it, given how many people don't wash their hands after using a public toilet. ;)

Top Bottom