Hygiene - a schoolboy error

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
TOP TIP: don't drink water that's lain in your bottle for two days during a heatwave!

About an hour later I had awful stomach cramps with ominous internal gurgling and, sure enough, I was soon able to shoot through the eye of a needle at thirty paces.

It was only then I recalled that I hadn't changed the water for a couple of days.
Eejit.

Slick

Guru
Yeah, same thing happened to my Bil but it took him ages to figure out what was wrong as he was the only one in the family affected. I've been pretty careful with mine ever since.

Sharky

Guru
When I've not used my bottle for a while, I put it into the microwave for 30 secs to sterilize it.

A long time ago (mid 90's), we went to Lourds and bought a large bottle of their "holy" water. We still have it over 25 years later and it is still crystal clear. Never drink it, but we just can't throw it away, so it stays in the garden shed.

hoopdriver

Guru
I cycled many thousands of miles in the Australian outback and fortunately never had any of those problems - which was handy as I often had no choice but to drink water that was several days old, as fresh water was hard to come by. I never got sick although a few times I could see algae forming inside my bottles.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Ew! My routine when I get home from a ride is to use what's left in my water bottle to water one or two houseplants, then the bottle and top go straight in the dishwasher.

It was simple forgetfulness (ok, possibly age-related) that led to it. My commute is only 7 miles so I don't always have a drink on such a short ride and completely forgot when I'd last filled the bottle. I've learned a lesson and I'll follow your example, using the excess water to water our hanging baskets.

Sorry for spoiling anyone's lunch!

Dave7

Legendary Member
When I've not used my bottle for a while, I put it into the microwave for 30 secs to sterilize it.

A long time ago (mid 90's), we went to Lourds and bought a large bottle of their "holy" water. We still have it over 25 years later and it is still crystal clear. Never drink it, but we just can't throw it away, so it stays in the garden shed.
You may well find it has changed into Vodka by now :smile:

Tim Hall

Steradent tablet. Or milton.
A swift google suggests Milton would have been a fan of the FNRTTC:
What hath night to do with sleep?”
(Paradise Lost). Ah. Not that Milton though.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

I don't know, but I can't think of another situation in which the nozzle of a drinks container, which gets put directly in one's mouth, is so close to the ground and vulnerable to being covered with all sorts of cack, wet or dry. The longer you leave it without washing it, the more bacteria you get?

I keep meaning to change mine for one of those that has the covering cap that reveals the nozzle beneath:

bottle.jpg

Reactions: mjr

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
That might not be long enough. I lay the bottle on its side with some water in. Give it full power to bring it to boiling, then reduced power for five minutes to steam it.

That's rather more than I do. I just add the bottles to the washing up so they get a bit of a clean with hot, soapy water

Having said that, they have usually had Vimto cordial in them and that probably kills 99% of all know germs. I know @theclaud is a particular fan of the "Northern Ribena"

Top Bottom