Hygiene - a schoolboy error

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
A fair point, but saddo that I am, I occasionally check the door switch is working.

Yep, always handy to know the switch works with the door open.

It could be one of them Volkswagen fridges that knows when is being tested....:okay:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I used two different panniers this week, and hadn't realised the bottle had slipped into the pocket of my ortlieb! Yesterday I noticed a dampness at the bottom of the pannier and eventually fracked back to find a bottle that had had diluted orange juice in!! It had expelled itself and left a right mess behind!

Out of interest do USB cables and Aldi lights work after being dipped in fermented orange juice?

Levo-Lon

Guru
I keep my bladder pack in the freezer at all times when im not cycling.

I boil my bottle after a ride and keep it in the fridge ..
But then i have ulcerative colitis and a weakened immune system..i dont mess with tummy bugs if possible as they win..

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
All my bottles and lids go in the dishwasher after a ride. They come out steamy, lemony and hot, and ready for anything.
How dare you leave a brackish or questionable bidon for future consumption!

There should be a rule about that in the rules.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Out of interest do USB cables and Aldi lights work after being dipped in fermented orange juice?
Ach, they'll be fine after a wipe :smile:
I don't have a dishwaher (not enough washing to justify it), the bottles get washed in the sink.
In the winter, if it's a mucky canal ride, I keep my bottle in the panniers.
One of my bikes came with a bottle holder near the bottom bracket xx( I took it off, no way I'm having a bottle there, not even a tool bottle.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Ach, they'll be fine after a wipe :smile:
I don't have a dishwaher (not enough washing to justify it), the bottles get washed in the sink.
In the winter, if it's a mucky canal ride, I keep my bottle in the panniers.
One of my bikes came with a bottle holder near the bottom bracket xx( I took it off, no way I'm having a bottle there, not even a tool bottle.

Lol she will be deep frying them soon

Katherine

Guru
You'd love it around here. The owner of Vimto lives nearby and drives a car with a reg of "VI4 MTO"

The first time I had Vimto was when I moved up to Manchester 35 years ago and I'm still not keen on it. It is very much an acquired taste, I think you have to have been brought up on Vimto to like it. It used to only be available in the north of England but it is widely available now.
My maths teacher at my 6th form college used to award Vimto badges for special efforts. They were considered quite a prize! This was in Hampshire and none of the students had ever heard of yet alone tasted the drink.

gaijintendo

Veteran
[QUOTE 4854458, member: 259"]I don't use reusable bottles on the bike as the whole idea is minging. I use water bottles from the shop and I top them up during the ride. And then I chuck them in the recycling bin.[/QUOTE]
Do you have adjustable cages, or is there any brand/volume that fits snugly?

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It used to only be available in the north of England but it is widely available now.

Do you mean in relation to the rest of England? It's been widely available in Scotland since before I was born. I loved it when I was wee but tried it again a few years ago and didn't enjoy it. I'm not sure whether the flavour has changed or my palate.

Katherine

Guru
Do you mean in relation to the rest of England? It's been widely available in Scotland since before I was born. I loved it when I was wee but tried it again a few years ago and didn't enjoy it. I'm not sure whether the flavour has changed or my palate.

It's meant to be like a mixed fruit flavour.
I didn't know that you had it in Scotland. The original factory was in Manchester. Maybe it went north before it made it to the South.

Just for information.

Legionella is a water-borne bacteria that is prevalent in most rivers and streams that can also find its way into purpose built water systems (your water tank at home) the growth rate of the bacteria is higher if the water is still or stagnant and between 20-45 °C. Plastic bottles containing water left in the sun increase growth rates too.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Ew! My routine when I get home from a ride is to use what's left in my water bottle to water one or two houseplants, then the bottle and top go straight in the dishwasher.
Good idea to wash it straight away ..... just not necessarily in the dishwasher. Mrs Donger put one of this pair of identical bottles in the dishwasher for me some years ago. Never again!
Aug 2014.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4854458, member: 259"]I don't use reusable bottles on the bike as the whole idea is minging. I use water bottles from the shop and I top them up during the ride. And then I chuck them in the recycling bin.[/QUOTE]

At the other end of the scale, I have a couple of '20 percent free' 600ml pop bottles which I've washed and reused dozens of times.

There's been the occasional unintended replacement when I've managed to leave one on a bench or it's bounced out of my trunk bag when I've forgotten to do up the zip.

Top Bottom