Hygiene - a schoolboy error

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A few years ago I had glandular fever, about the only thing I could trace it back to was sharing drinks bottles during Hockey. Judging by some of the things that have grown in the bottles of the years my immune system is pretty strong. I once had a forgotten about recovery drink bottle that split due the gases that built up inside.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I put my bottles through the dishwasher, and occasionally soak them in my winemaking steriliser stuff.
The bladder from my hydration backpack has a Campden Tablet dissolved in it a couple of times a year, the rinsed well before using.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Does this only affect plastic bottles?
No - this is an issue with all fluid (for drinking) containers. And it is particularly an issue with bladders and the tubes running from them. If you put stuff other than water in containers it's worse again. But nothing a good clean (every time) and regular (not every time) steradent tab treatment can't resolve. Bladders need to be left to air dry (ie wedged open) and the tubes need attention - you can get a cleaning kit to keep them clear (which is why tubes with a cover are a problem - you can't see whether they are clean or not.
I keep meaning to change mine for one of those that has the covering cap that reveals the nozzle beneath:
Trouble with those is that they're a pain to take a quick swig from, on the move. and on balance more trouble than they're worth (imo).

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I bought some bottles with the dome shaped dirt cover but couldn't get used to them so ripped the covers off.
not quite as bad if you have a front mudguard .
I swish mine around in a mild bleach solution now and then.

wisdom

Guru
Put sterilising fluid in mine pull out the drinking nozzle and put the cap on the bottle inverted. Then top up the lid this makes sure the cap and valve are sterilised too.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Trouble with those is that they're a pain to take a quick swig from, on the move. and on balance more trouble than they're worth (imo).
Not too bad - just remember to flip the cover open before removing from the cage and close it after. I think they're well worth the effort with the shoot farmers leave on the roads to get splattered around.

Ew! My routine when I get home from a ride is to use what's left in my water bottle to water one or two houseplants, then the bottle and top go straight in the dishwasher.
Same here.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My guess is heat - and sunlight - is the problem.

Years ago, I read an empty fridge runs less efficiently than a full one.

My standard size fridge is too big for me, so the middle shelf is occupied by three bottles of water as 'ballast'.

The point of this not very interesting story is the water is still fine to drink several years later, it having been kept cool and in the dark.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
TOP TIP: don't drink water that's lain in your bottle for two days during a heatwave!

About an hour later I had awful stomach cramps with ominous internal gurgling and, sure enough, I was soon able to shoot through the eye of a needle at thirty paces.

It was only then I recalled that I hadn't changed the water for a couple of days.
Eejit.
Thank you for conducting this experiment so that the rest of us don't have to.:thumbsup:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
My guess is heat - and sunlight - is the problem.

Years ago, I read an empty fridge runs less efficiently than a full one.

My standard size fridge is too big for me, so the middle shelf is occupied by three bottles of water as 'ballast'.

The point of this not very interesting story is the water is still fine to drink several years later, it having been kept cool and in the dark.

Ahhh but can you be sure the light goes out when you close the door.

Top Bottom