Hypothetically speaking.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
But none for ‘Devil’s Rope’.
Check the museum.

C R

Guru
Be careful what you say and who you say it to! Not just because someone might pinch your idea, but also because I think prior disclosure can affect your chances of being granted a patent.
Indeed, prior public disclosure would make any claims already disclosed difficult to stick. First step is find a patent agent with experience in the area, and take it from there.

It would also be worth digging through google scholar and google patents to see what there is around already, to make sure your idea hasn't been disclosed before.

classic33

Leg End Member
..........just say for a minute that I had designed a new bike transmission system and gear changer which weighed less than the existing, had an order of magnitude fewer moving parts, had no idler wheels or other chain tensioning, provided ratios of between 1: 5.3 and 1: 0.7, was continually variable, cheaper to manufacture than the existing, only needed one control lever (it might even be automated), required less space between wheel and stays than a 3 speed, and could change gears whilst stationary......just for argument's sake. What should I do next?
Any idea what you'll be doing next?

Ajax Bay

Guru
a new bike transmission system and gear changer which weighed less than the existing, had an order of magnitude fewer moving parts, had no idler wheels or other chain tensioning, provided ratios of between 1: 5.3 and 1: 0.7, was continually variable, cheaper to manufacture than the existing, only needed one control lever (it might even be automated), required less space between wheel and stays than a 3 speed, and could change gears whilst stationary
Would need to compete with this (seems to meet your parameters):
https://www.ceramicspeed.com/en/driven/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gip7TSeKx4

OP
OP
MikeG

MikeG

Guru
Yeah, I saw that, and it looks promising. They're clearly at the start of their development processes, because I'd be doubtful that the current arrangement would resist much torque without jumping off the sprocket/ gear-thing. But the simplicity looks great. Some sort of syncromesh would help them, too.

Top Bottom