I’d like a new bike saddle - I’m fed up of discomfort

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raggydoll

Über Member
Only way for me.
Scott roadie, but with flat bars and touring gearing. Vintage mixte, much the same. Nothing you'd ever find anywhere else.
I've done the same to most of the basses I've owned, too.
They're all MINE, I tell you!
:biggrin:

Cool...Do you just not like drop bars?

What have you done to your basses?

Cool...Do you just not like drop bars?

What have you done to your basses?
No, drop bars are uncomfortable, and STI shifters are pathetic next to the slickness of EZ-Fire thumbshifters. IMHO, of course. If there's a good reason for Di2, it's that it probably exceeds that slickness for the drop bar fans.^_^
Basses: A Fender Precision man, through and through. Both types, pre-and post 57. But arthtitic hands mean I have P-basses with J-bass necks. A relatively minor thing in such adaptable instruments, the fixings are identical. So I mix and match. Once I realised I could do the same to bikes, I was away!
:biggrin:

So the neck pockets on p basses and jazz bases are the exact same size?
Precisely so. Very handy. It's just the taper to the nut that's different, and at its absolute maximum, that's a quarter of an inch* over the length of the neck. But what a difference that quarter of an inch can make! At some points in production, you could specify what nut width you wanted on P-basses, so it was actually possible to get a 1.5" nut width neck factory fitted.
Nut width A - 1.5" This is normal Jazz Bass width.
Nut width B - 1.625" This is the most common width for a Precision Bass.
Nut width C - 1.75" Precision Bass at various odd times.
There's another whole thing about the neck cross section, too. And people think Fenders are simple...
*Very occasionally, a Jazz neck is found that's slightly below 1.5", but it isn't common.

raggydoll

Über Member
You know your p basses!

Fenders have shot up in price in recent years. Even just 2 or 3 years ago you could pick up some amazing 2nd hand deals. Now, similar to bikes - prices are not far off what they are new! (in general).

Top Bottom