I’d like a new bike saddle - I’m fed up of discomfort

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raggydoll

Über Member
Lots of great tips above.
In general you want to to have a slight bend in your knee when your pedal is at the bottom of your stroke.
Google will show you lots of videos/tips on getting the saddle height right.
Too low will have have pretty much all your weight on your bum and will hurt your knees too.
When the saddle height is set right then your weight will be more evenly distributed between your bum and your arms and legs.

As others have said, standing up regularly to give your bum a rest will help too.
You don't even need to pedal while you stand up if you don't have the strength or confidence.
As long as you are on the flat or downhill you can simply coast for a little bit to give your bum a rest.

Do you have a women‘s specific saddle or is it a unisex (ie one more suited to a male anatomy :rolleyes:) that came with the bike?
If not, I‘d say that’s the first place to start. something like a Charge Ladle/Madison Leia is a decent choice for around £30, although it may not suit you, it is trial and error!

Padded is actually not always better, firm can be and you should not be putting all your weight through your bum, but your legs should be taking the strain while pedalling. Do you stand up regularly to give your behind a break?

Ive got a reasonably well used WSD saddle which you're welcome to have for the cost of Hermes postage (£3?)
clearly I cant promise it’ll be better, but it’ll at least be suited to female anatomy. I’m also pretty big and use 155 wide saddles

Well, just goes to show... I'm rather petite - 4ft 11 and 8 stone 6, and I also use a 155 mm saddle.

IIRC, you and I have the same taste in saddles. :smile:

P.S. I'm loving my Leia :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve not used mine yet, but the Ladle seems pretty comfortable. I have a Bontrager saddles on 3 bikes, all pretty comfortable. I have several more saddles than bikes currently…how to solve :scratch:

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you buy them in search of the ultimate saddle or just to have spares?
When I find a saddle I like, I usually buy if I see at a good price.
I have had to throw a couple of broken ones away.
I don't ride far enough to need an ultimate saddle whatever that is, I don't find sitting on a saddle especially comfortable regardless, decent padded shorts do help though (I also buy more of those when I find good ones that fit).

I do have spares bought to replace the 'men's' saddles on bought used bikes...which I have since sold on, with the original saddle refitted

Last edited:

raggydoll

Über Member
When I find a saddle I like, I usually buy if I see at a good price.
I have had to throw a couple of broken ones away.
I don't ride far enough to need an ultimate saddle whatever that is, I don't find sitting on a saddle especially comfortable regardless, decent padded shorts do help though (I also buy more of those when I find good ones that fit).

I do have spares bought to replace the 'men's' saddles on bought used bikes...which I have since sold on, with the original saddle refitted

Saddles aside - Do you notice a difference in geometry of a men's bike and a woman's bike in terms of frames etc?
Or is that down to marketing?

vickster

Legendary Member
Saddles aside - Do you notice a difference in geometry of a men's bike and a woman's bike in terms of frames etc?
Or is that down to marketing?
There are differences in some brands (eg Giant vs. Liv). All my bikes now are men's (54cm) but I'm nearly 5'10, but I have narrower bars and tape and a shorter stem than would come on a stock roadbike (however 3/4 were built to my spec from a frameset :becool:). On stock bikes, this clearly adds to the cost and is annoying (so I don't buy stock)
I also dislike Shimano shifters, so all mine have the slimmer profile SRAM equivalent (Apex/Rival)

raggydoll

Über Member
There are differences in some brands (eg Giant vs. Liv). All my bikes now are men's (54cm) but I'm nearly 5'10, but I have narrower bars and tape and a shorter stem than would come on a stock roadbike (however 3/4 were built to my spec from a frameset :becool:). On stock bikes, this clearly adds to the cost and is annoying (so I don't buy stock)
I also dislike Shimano shifters, so all mine have the slimmer profile SRAM equivalent (Apex/Rival)

If you know what you like then you're probably best to buy used and spec them how you like.

I don't need a new bike but when looking I rarely find a stock bike that has everything I would want.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you know what you like then you're probably best to buy used and spec them how you like.

I don't need a new bike but when looking I rarely find a stock bike that has everything I would want.
Indeed. I bought a lightly used Genesis Eq disc in lockdown 1, had it switched to some 40cm bars, new tape, the Tiagra shifters to some Apex I had spare, a new apex rear mech (when parts were still available and cheap ^_^), an hour or so at the LBS, a few quid, wsd saddle, all good 👍 Cost was well covered by selling a couple of other bikes

raggydoll

Über Member
Indeed. I bought a lightly used Genesis Eq disc in lockdown 1, had it switched to some 40cm bars, new tape, the Tiagra shifters to some Apex I had spare, a new apex rear mech (when parts were still available and cheap ^_^), an hour or so at the LBS, a few quid, wsd saddle, all good 👍 Cost was well covered by selling a couple of other bikes

Ah, remember when parts were available and cheap!

I love when people take a bike and make it their own! :okay:

Top Bottom