I’M ON A PLANE!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Good choice of beer there fabbers! :cheers:
I struck lucky! Though not sure with that sandwich that I’m not overdoing the carbs….

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm really hoping it's a take away meal ... ;)
With my reputation?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I am constantly surprised by the casual way plane travel is used nowadays. In my early travel days it was bike, bus or train and crossing to European mainland by boat only.
Now my younger son leaves home at 0630 in a taxi to an airport and arrives in Taiwan 36 hours later. He treats it as we used to catch a bus.

stephec

Legendary Member
Trip 2. Düsseldorf.
I got ze paperz in order to enter Germany but screwed-up planning my return! So, on arrival booked and underwent a 12hr PCR, around 2100, got my car and shoved- off to the hotel.
Next day, no result, called helpline who would escalate the result. 18hrs and an email sent later….no result. Bedtime called helpline - still escalating. 0400… no result. Called helpline, guy says he thinks it fair to say there is no result and best bet if I want to get home is to go to the airport and get a 1.5hr test and they can reimburse the money after. 0500, drive to airport. Guy goes to lab. 30mins later calls to say I need to wait another 30mins. Remonstrate! Get 1.5hr test free. Drive back to hotel. Get to room, key no longer works, get replacement from reception. Snooze 45 mins.
Up, brekkie, shower, pack go to customer.
Taste products, have meeting, print off papers, complete government form, go to airport. Drop hire car. Go to check-in.

So far so good, BUT you need to go to a check-in desk to get papers checked rather than online or via machine. But checkin opens only as before 2 hrs before departure … so I retire for a beer and sarnie.

View attachment 609462

But then everybody on the flight is queuing for 2 check-in desks! Madness. By the time half of the pasengers have got theough there’s barely time to gorge oneself in the lounge or buy anything. Now you’d think for the sake of the shops and lounges they might open desks earlier or get more check-in desks open. Bonkers, no adapting to changing circumstances.

Rumour is we might be boarding….
It’s the glamour you know….
View attachment 609485
You're in the land of beer and sausage and you didn't go native with the refreshments?

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I am constantly surprised by the casual way plane travel is used nowadays. In my early travel days it was bike, bus or train and crossing to European mainland by boat only.
Now my younger son leaves home at 0630 in a taxi to an airport and arrives in Taiwan 36 hours later. He treats it as we used to catch a bus.
It was when my nephew, a barman, casually mentioned he was flying off to Barcelona to meet his girlfriend that I realised the world had changed.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I realised it had gone too far when I had 3 day trips in a week, lockdown has been great in that I won’t be travelling anywhere near as much in when things fully open up. My company of about 7000 employees saved €126 million in the last financial year in travel costs, an average of 18k per person. Scarily, almost 4000 of those employees are based in Mumbai and only travel by bus. That €126M kept a lot of people in jobs as our revenues disappeared, I am pretty sure when things normalise that €100M will never come back, which is a good thing. The amount of time we wasted sat in airports and planes for meetings that were not productive was amazing, now we can be unproductive sat in our own homes ;)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Dry but the roads are still damp after yesterday when it rained for the whole day.
Not sunny which is a good thing as when I am out on the trike early the sun is getting a bit low and shining straight into driver's eyes which does not fill me with confidence.
Anyway got a nice run this morning despite the higher than expected volume of traffic for a Saturday.
Learned a new use for a word.
A lorry owner/driver I know said he was coming up Liddisdale fully freighted and realised he was doing 0.9 mpg so had to put on some soothing music as he was frightened the eco warriors would be after him. Not heard freighted used in that way before and he is a very literate bloke so not a mistake.
That is a long steep hill up from Loch Sunart and my vans used to struggle when fully loaded and sometimes had to go down to bottom gear near the top. I used to put on the cab heater full blast to try to keep the engine temperature below the red.
I never managed to cycle the whole way up either even after stopping for a rest a couple of times.
Happy days.
Edit to confess having posted this in the wrong place. It should have been Mundane News but cannot shift it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom