I Ain't Afraid of no... Brompton Bottom Bracket!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I Ain’t Afraid of no...Brompton Bottom Bracket!

Or, fools rush in.

As with most of life’s triumphs and disasters this episode started with pondering about what if…

With the standard bottom bracket an early type 50T chainring with a small inner ring attached works with the bike unfolded but when you fold it the slightly domed chainring bolt heads just contact the paint on the chainstay.

What if… I took the bottom bracket out, put a spacer (which I have in my bits box) on the drive side and reassembled it? A cheap and cheerful modification at just the cost of a FAG tool from ebay. There seems enough clearance to allow the crank on the non drive side to move inwards a corresponding amount without clashing with the folded frame.

I’ve changed a few bottom brackets in recent years, mostly Shimano, but apart from a bit of brute force and ignorance needing to be used to get some of them started, it has all gone well. This FAG bottom bracket with its plastic fantastic cups should be easier, I thought, with no possibility of corrosion seizing them in. I ordered a FAG tool which had a hexagonal nut on one side, and the six prongs to engage with the bottom bracket on the other.

The day came. Selection of washers tensioned with the spindle bolt -check. FAG tool to be held in place by said washers to avoid slipping and chewing up the plastic (not too tight, to allow the cup to move outwards ) -check. 12” Hercules adjustable spanner -check. Small hide faced mallet just in case -check. I started with the non drive side. It wouldn’t move with just hand pressure but after a couple of gentle taps with the mallet I was able to move it by hand.

It was looking promising. I managed half a turn then slackened off the spindle bolt, another quarter turn then it became harder to turn. Another push on the spanner and “t’chink” and the ring turned freely. Oh. I undid the spindle bolt, removed the FAG tool and the plastic ring fell off. The name of Kinnel was heard throughout the land, or at least in my garage, as in what the Kinnel is going on?

Had someone overstrained the mounting rings when putting it on? Have they become brittle from age or exposure to sunlight? There were no marks on them, or fading. I thought that as I had another chance to get it out on the drive side, I would worry about getting the remains of this cup out when I’d got the rest out. Maybe one side might be unusually weak, surely the other side would be OK.

So, the same procedure on the other side. Again, it started to turn freely then without warning this side too snapped like a carrot. What in the name of the various flying fudpuckers is going on? Is it made of cheese? (Mmm, cheese).
I was a bit perplexed. I’d not used much more leverage than a fairy fart this time and yet the plastic had given way.

Over the next few days I tried various things. Drilling the plastic and tapping steel pins into it, then trying to rotate the cups by tapping with a small hammer and screwdriver. Eventually resorted to a G clamp and various sockets to spread the load, trying to press the centre out, which did move one of the bearings slightly. Since the bottom bracket wasn’t going to be re usable I ordered a Shimano one. Since the original chainsets were ISO, according to Sheldon Brown they should fit 4.5mm or so further out on the Shimano taper, being JIS, which ought to give the correct clearance if I got the size right.

I tried drilling lots of small holes in the non drive side cup hoping to weaken it enough to enable the innards to be bashed through using a lump hammer on the opposite spindle but only succeeded in slightly mushrooming the end of the spindle. I was more worried about damaging the frame and particularly the suspension spindle by over stressing it.

Finally I visited a long established bike shop in a nearby town where after some sucking of teeth and intakes of breath was suggested to try a local engineering works to get it pressed out. I did try there but was booked up for weeks ahead. Sunk in gloom, I put it aside it for a while.

A few days later I called in at a car accessories place which had a bike workshop to see if they had any tools I could use to get the blighter out but they suggested I brought it in to let them look at it. I took it in without much hope together with the new BB as if they got it out they would probably have to clean up the threads, so might as well fit it. “Give us a week” they said.

Two hours later I got a phone call. “Bike’s done.”

I went to collect it immediately, as I wanted to find out how they’d managed it. They took the bearing seals out and after crowding the ball bearings together were able to remove one then all of them and take the spindle out. I could probably have done that part myself. Next they used some kind of cutter to break up the hardened steel outer race and remove it. That’s something I don’t have the tools to do.

I was so glad to have got something fixed that I’d been fretting about for two weeks that to me, what I paid them was a bargain.

I reassembled the bike with the 44T single ring as a 3 speed as before. I’d tried the double and still had clearance problems when folded. I’d failed to account for the 118mm Shimano BB unit being more symmetrical than The FAG one, so the spindles were about the same both sides.

Normally I tend to think, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” but over the last couple of years of recumbenting I’ve made things work that I’d previously not thought possible. Sooo...

What if ..what if… I took the bottom bracket out, put a spacer (which I have in my bits box) on the drive side and reassembled it?

Groundhog Day?

Not going to try that for a while.

Now if anyone mentions FAG bottom brackets to me it’s time to Be Afraid...Very Afraid…

Shimano is the way to go.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I Ain’t Afraid of no...Brompton Bottom Bracket!

Or, fools rush in.

As with most of life’s triumphs and disasters this episode started with pondering about what if…

With the standard bottom bracket an early type 50T chainring with a small inner ring attached works with the bike unfolded but when you fold it the slightly domed chainring bolt heads just contact the paint on the chainstay.

What if… I took the bottom bracket out, put a spacer (which I have in my bits box) on the drive side and reassembled it? A cheap and cheerful modification at just the cost of a FAG tool from ebay. There seems enough clearance to allow the crank on the non drive side to move inwards a corresponding amount without clashing with the folded frame.

I’ve changed a few bottom brackets in recent years, mostly Shimano, but apart from a bit of brute force and ignorance needing to be used to get some of them started, it has all gone well. This FAG bottom bracket with its plastic fantastic cups should be easier, I thought, with no possibility of corrosion seizing them in. I ordered a FAG tool which had a hexagonal nut on one side, and the six prongs to engage with the bottom bracket on the other.

The day came. Selection of washers tensioned with the spindle bolt -check. FAG tool to be held in place by said washers to avoid slipping and chewing up the plastic (not too tight, to allow the cup to move outwards ) -check. 12” Hercules adjustable spanner -check. Small hide faced mallet just in case -check. I started with the non drive side. It wouldn’t move with just hand pressure but after a couple of gentle taps with the mallet I was able to move it by hand.

It was looking promising. I managed half a turn then slackened off the spindle bolt, another quarter turn then it became harder to turn. Another push on the spanner and “t’chink” and the ring turned freely. Oh. I undid the spindle bolt, removed the FAG tool and the plastic ring fell off. The name of Kinnel was heard throughout the land, or at least in my garage, as in what the Kinnel is going on?

Had someone overstrained the mounting rings when putting it on? Have they become brittle from age or exposure to sunlight? There were no marks on them, or fading. I thought that as I had another chance to get it out on the drive side, I would worry about getting the remains of this cup out when I’d got the rest out. Maybe one side might be unusually weak, surely the other side would be OK.

So, the same procedure on the other side. Again, it started to turn freely then without warning this side too snapped like a carrot. What in the name of the various flying fudpuckers is going on? Is it made of cheese? (Mmm, cheese).
I was a bit perplexed. I’d not used much more leverage than a fairy fart this time and yet the plastic had given way.

Over the next few days I tried various things. Drilling the plastic and tapping steel pins into it, then trying to rotate the cups by tapping with a small hammer and screwdriver. Eventually resorted to a G clamp and various sockets to spread the load, trying to press the centre out, which did move one of the bearings slightly. Since the bottom bracket wasn’t going to be re usable I ordered a Shimano one. Since the original chainsets were ISO, according to Sheldon Brown they should fit 4.5mm or so further out on the Shimano taper, being JIS, which ought to give the correct clearance if I got the size right.

I tried drilling lots of small holes in the non drive side cup hoping to weaken it enough to enable the innards to be bashed through using a lump hammer on the opposite spindle but only succeeded in slightly mushrooming the end of the spindle. I was more worried about damaging the frame and particularly the suspension spindle by over stressing it.

Finally I visited a long established bike shop in a nearby town where after some sucking of teeth and intakes of breath was suggested to try a local engineering works to get it pressed out. I did try there but was booked up for weeks ahead. Sunk in gloom, I put it aside it for a while.

A few days later I called in at a car accessories place which had a bike workshop to see if they had any tools I could use to get the blighter out but they suggested I brought it in to let them look at it. I took it in without much hope together with the new BB as if they got it out they would probably have to clean up the threads, so might as well fit it. “Give us a week” they said.

Two hours later I got a phone call. “Bike’s done.”

I went to collect it immediately, as I wanted to find out how they’d managed it. They took the bearing seals out and after crowding the ball bearings together were able to remove one then all of them and take the spindle out. I could probably have done that part myself. Next they used some kind of cutter to break up the hardened steel outer race and remove it. That’s something I don’t have the tools to do.

I was so glad to have got something fixed that I’d been fretting about for two weeks that to me, what I paid them was a bargain.

I reassembled the bike with the 44T single ring as a 3 speed as before. I’d tried the double and still had clearance problems when folded. I’d failed to account for the 118mm Shimano BB unit being more symmetrical than The FAG one, so the spindles were about the same both sides.

Normally I tend to think, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” but over the last couple of years of recumbenting I’ve made things work that I’d previously not thought possible. Sooo...

What if ..what if… I took the bottom bracket out, put a spacer (which I have in my bits box) on the drive side and reassembled it?

Groundhog Day?

Not going to try that for a while.

Now if anyone mentions FAG bottom brackets to me it’s time to Be Afraid...Very Afraid…

Shimano is the way to go.
That was a very interesting read. Glad that you got it sorted in the end. It took me back to my engineering days, getting bearing shells out of blind housings with the aid of a pair of miniature bearing pullers converted into a sort of cobbled together slide hammer.

12boy

Guru
I too had a FAG BB which I thought was creaking ( although the creak was pedal based) and I replaced it with a Shimano UN 55 which is still good after and 8 years and thousands of miles. I took my FAG out with Visegrips and a screwdriver used as a chisel.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Never thought about when you fold them and the difference it makes
Bromptons need an unusually large Q-factor so the RH crank clears the rear triangle during folding. Aftermarket cranks often need a longish BB and the ring on the inside of the spider. There is also very little clearance between the chainring bolts and the rear pivot end of the rear triangle when the chainline is correct. If the rear triangle is slightly off, it can be impossible to achieve perfect chainline because of this. They really are quite fussy when it comes to cranksets.

ExBrit

Über Member
I upgraded the BB on my road bike and was amazed at the difference. If I wanted to do the same thing on my Brompton, does anyone have any recommendations for a better one? Or is it a bad idea?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Brompton have used many types of BB over the years (the FAG being probably the best known as they fitted them for years). It depends what type you have. They all work fine but the FAG can be difficult to remove after many years due to its nasty plastic cups.

Kell

Veteran
I switched mine out for a fairly basic (but robust) Shimano BB.

Not sure I noticed any real difference (placebo effect maybe), but it was about the time that Brompton issued the recalls. While my bike fell outside the recall numbers, I thought I might as well as it wasn't expensive.

I'm sure someone will be along to tell you the correct dimensions to buy as I can't remember.

mitchibob

Über Member
I switched mine out for a fairly basic (but robust) Shimano BB.

Not sure I noticed any real difference (placebo effect maybe), but it was about the time that Brompton issued the recalls. While my bike fell outside the recall numbers, I thought I might as well as it wasn't expensive.

I'm sure someone will be along to tell you the correct dimensions to buy as I can't remember.

I had someone else do that to mine on my first Brommie, as was incorrectly told it wasn't a warranty repair in authorised reseller I'd bought through who then wanted to absolutely fleece me, then month after I'd paid for Shimano replacement in a better, independent, local bike shop, mine was one of the ones to get recalled due to faulty BB :-(

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A 110mm JIS BB works on the old chainsets, for which the original 119mm ISO BB is now unobtainable. I tried it and taper engagement is very good.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I upgraded the BB on my road bike and was amazed at the difference. If I wanted to do the same thing on my Brompton, does anyone have any recommendations for a better one? Or is it a bad idea?

Token JIS 118mm works, is an upgrade and at the same time economical. There is a more expensive version with Ti axle as well (never seen it as stock anywhere). https://www.tokenproducts.com/bottom-brackets/threaded/jis-square-taper#specs
Way cheaper than all the excessively expensive "tuning" BBs that float around. Still in practice in my opinion it does not make a relevant difference on the Bromoton compared to the factory BB(s).

Top Bottom