I Ain't Afraid of no... Brompton Bottom Bracket!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I upgraded the BB on my road bike and was amazed at the difference.

I amazed you were amazed, unless there was something wrong with the incumbent BB. I switched my Brompton BB when was replacing the broken crankset / chainring, as it 10 yrs old and I had the cranks off anyway and a BB is cheapish.

I noticed the diff when I changed it on my gravel bike, but only because the BB casing has cracked inside the shell so it was making a right old racket.

ExBrit

Über Member
I amazed you were amazed, unless there was something wrong with the incumbent BB. I switched my Brompton BB when was replacing the broken crankset / chainring, as it 10 yrs old and I had the cranks off anyway and a BB is cheapish.

I noticed the diff when I changed it on my gravel bike, but only because the BB casing has cracked inside the shell so it was making a right old racket.

I'm amazed you were amazed that I was amazed. We can do this forever :laugh:

tinywheels

Über Member
interesting thread.
I have just ordered a Hope bottom bracket plus cranks for mine.
Being a total knob,I am getting the shop to fit them.
Will be interesting to see if the product lives up to expectations.
oh ,yeah I'm having the Hope 44 tooth chainring as well.
Fed up with struggling up hills where I live. :laugh:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Hope external BB? Do you know it works? Bromptons are very fussy about cranks, as the RH crank needs to clear the rear triangle during folding but you also need to maintain a straight chainline. With most aftermarket cranks, the chainring needs to go inside the spider for correct chainline, but this means you can use the outer chainring position for a chainguard.

tinywheels

Über Member
Hope external BB? Do you know it works? Bromptons are very fussy about cranks, as the RH crank needs to clear the rear triangle during folding but you also need to maintain a straight chainline. With most aftermarket cranks, the chainring needs to go inside the spider for correct chainline, but this means you can use the outer chainring position for a chainguard.

it's coming from Brilliant bikes in Chobham. they are gonna fit the parts.
A lady there,has an orange set on her brompton, works for her.

tinywheels

Über Member
Do you have a link and/or model name to see what spec and price it is?

What are your expectations?

here's a list of the parts.
yes I know its a crazy price,and on a brompton. But,hey you only live once^_^

Attachments

• 20220429_161528.jpg
    20220429_161528.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 25

12boy

Guru
I have a Chris King gripnut headset with thousands of miles on it which hasn't needed any attention since installed. Cost about $120 with labor.

GuyBoden

Guru
Many years ago, I used a large soldering iron to melt a plastic FAG bottom bracket out of a frame. It took along time to melt, but it worked.

I do have a spare plastic FAG bottom bracket in the garage, if you ever need another challenge.:laugh:

Top Bottom