I am a bona fide DIY genius!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
How impressive is this?

1633259097023.png

Big gap at the top of the front door. Fitted a draught-excluder strip, but there's still a gap - only four or five mils, but boy does the wind whistle thru' when it's in the east...

What to do? I need something that can be easily fixed in place, that will tend to puff up a bit to fill any gap, but will also slip/squeeze down easily where it's too big.

<lightbulb emoji> An old inner tube, cut to length and stapled along one edge. Ok, it's not pretty, but it's on top of the door - who's ever going to notice?

Took all of five minutes - no more draught!

I'll be doing autographs at the door... ^_^

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A really inventive DIYer would have left the valve in, sealed the ends so that you can inflate it to fully seal the gap.
It’s ok don’t thank me.:smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Connect a small electric pump to the valve and a switch on the door so it inflates when the door is closed - then deflates when the door handle is pressed.

together we could conquer the world!!!
Using a 700c innertube would allow you to stretch fit it round the door, no staples required.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A really inventive DIYer would have left the valve in, sealed the ends so that you can inflate it to fully seal the gap.
It’s ok don’t thank me.:smile:
Slight problem with this suggestion - the multiple staples through the tube creating a slight lack of airtightedness!!

Gillstay

Über Member
Slight problem with this suggestion - the multiple staples through the tube creating a slight lack of airtightedness!!
Ah yes, so bonding it too the top of the door with the ends sealed and light pressure may just do it. Glue can be expensive though !

irw

Quadricyclist
Connect a small electric pump to the valve and a switch on the door so it inflates when the door is closed - then deflates when the door handle is pressed.

together we could conquer the world!!!

Orrrrr, attach a second tube down the hinge side of the door, between door and frame. Pump that up to 1.5x the amount needed for it to seal the edge, and also connect it to the top one (which is about half the length of the side one). This way, AS you close the door, the extra air will move into the top one, thus providing a solid seal once the door is closed!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
How impressive is this?

View attachment 611920

Big gap at the top of the front door. Fitted a draught-excluder strip, but there's still a gap - only four or five mils, but boy does the wind whistle thru' when it's in the east...

What to do? I need something that can be easily fixed in place, that will tend to puff up a bit to fill any gap, but will also slip/squeeze down easily where it's too big.

<lightbulb emoji> An old inner tube, cut to length and stapled along one edge. Ok, it's not pretty, but it's on top of the door - who's ever going to notice?

Took all of five minutes - no more draught!

I'll be doing autographs at the door... ^_^
I love a DIY bodge job. It’s the greatest feeling.

Top Bottom