I am ashamed, very ashamed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think I saw somewhere that the 'drive through on a bike' problem is due to insurance

I did see a video of 4 'young people' who linked their bikes with poles into a rectangle and went to the drive through making brmm brmm noises

they were still rejected
which they probably expected

Theres lot of YT videos of McDonalds drive thru shenanigans, this sounds like one of the more imaginative. The rubbish ones just have them trying to scare the server by shouting/blowing a horn at the server, I've seen some end with the servers throwing the food and drinks on the culprit lol*

*These videos are far more popular in America because 'fame'

they do also have a door on the front you can walk through and order takeaway from....just saying :whistle:

I'll assume you're speaking from personal experience of Harwich; for the general reader (considering other outlets), note that many branches will lock all the doors and go Drive-Thru Only during the graveyard hours.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'll assume you're speaking from personal experience of Harwich; for the general reader (considering other outlets), note that many branches will lock all the doors and go Drive-Thru Only during the graveyard hours.

I assume you didn't read the post I quoted in your haste to be contrary. For clarity takeaway was an option....

and didn't want to eat in.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
By the way, this is why they don't allow bikes

Why? The drive-thru facility is designed for motor vehicles and, on balance, we are concerned that use by cyclists could compromise their safety through: the necessarily close proximity with motor vehicles; the limited visibility of cycles (particularly given the sharp corners of the drive thru lane); and the difficulties of carrying food and drinks and retaining full control of a bicycle. In reaching this view we have consulted with our own Hygiene and Safety Department, the Highway Code, and the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA).

https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/help/faq/are-bicycles-allowed-through-drive-thru0.html

So there you have it.

Jameshow

Veteran
It's Macdonald's standard practice. Bikes aren't allowed in drive thru. You can argue til you're blue in the face but them's the rules.

About 20 of us turned up to a Mcds on a Friday night ride at 3am only to find it was drive through only so we couldn't get anything.

Fortunately for us there was a 24h garage nearby that did way better food than you could ever get in a Mcds so all was well.

Could you not get a taxi driver to take you through for a coffee?🤣🤣🤣

Jameshow

Veteran
Meanwhile, the OP is sat reading this, stuffing his face with McDonalds and laughing at us all 😆

The Op is McDonald's pr team!

By the way, this is why they don't allow bikes

Why? The drive-thru facility is designed for motor vehicles and, on balance, we are concerned that use by cyclists could compromise their safety through: the necessarily close proximity with motor vehicles; the limited visibility of cycles (particularly given the sharp corners of the drive thru lane); and the difficulties of carrying food and drinks and retaining full control of a bicycle. In reaching this view we have consulted with our own Hygiene and Safety Department, the Highway Code, and the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA).

https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/help/faq/are-bicycles-allowed-through-drive-thru0.html

So there you have it.

Limited visibility of cycles
cyclists are higher up and have literally full vision in all directions - unhindered by pillars, seats and, in the case of vans, blacked out windows!!!

Still - the point about how to hold onto it is a good one - although as some 'young people' manage to ride with their phone in both hands I am not sure hanging onto a Big Mac and Fries in a paper bag is all that much trouble!
(Note - no - I don't know what they need 2 hands to hold a phone - but there we are!)

Alex321

Veteran
Limited visibility of cycles
cyclists are higher up and have literally full vision in all directions - unhindered by pillars, seats and, in the case of vans, blacked out windows!!!

Still - the point about how to hold onto it is a good one - although as some 'young people' manage to ride with their phone in both hands I am not sure hanging onto a Big Mac and Fries in a paper bag is all that much trouble!
(Note - no - I don't know what they need 2 hands to hold a phone - but there we are!)

Limited visibility OF cycles. Not by cyclists.

Top Bottom