I am getting a patio - advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Hello all,

As above - I would be really grateful if any of you in the know could give me any advice or guidelines when reviewing quotations.

We have three on the go, one from the local and well-established patio experts, and two from a couple of small businesses. The big boys say that you must have a concrete base poured first, it must be treated with this or that chemical and the other lads are looking at a more modest base and no chemicals but are half the price.

All a bit bewildering to somebody who has little knowledge of these things so are there any things that I should avoid or insist upon?

Thanks!
:thumbsup:

Dave 123

Legendary Member

Levo-Lon

Guru
Post is too vague?

Whats the reasoning for concrete base?
What type of new paving material? Slab, block paving or a new resin finish? Other.

And what sub base have you got, clay, peat, wet boggy, trees close by?

And by Big boys do you mean a national like Everest? Ect

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
No need for a concrete base.

Hardcore whacked down with a compactor. Slabs or stone laid with a full mortar bed. ‘Spots’ are not good enough. Pointed up with a 6:1 Mix. Avoid jet washing. Encourage hours of relaxation time.

If your budget allows, some of the ethically approved sandstones are only a smidge more expensive than the preformed junk you can get.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Check what will be done to provide a damp proof course under the. patio doors. I've just had to have rotten joists replaced due to a poorly placed skimpy dpc.

Very good point. Ideally the fall should be away from the house. If not, gulley and drainage needs to be well thought out. Strip of DPC against the house regardless of fall direction.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Hello all,

As above - I would be really grateful if any of you in the know could give me any advice or guidelines when reviewing quotations.

We have three on the go, one from the local and well-established patio experts, and two from a couple of small businesses. The big boys say that you must have a concrete base poured first, it must be treated with this or that chemical and the other lads are looking at a more modest base and no chemicals but are half the price.

All a bit bewildering to somebody who has little knowledge of these things so are there any things that I should avoid or insist upon?

Thanks!
:thumbsup:

Here's my advice:

Don't bother with a concrete base - use compacted type1 or type2 aggregate (used under roads) as as sub-base. About £50 a ton Hippo bag from B&Q.

Stones are laid onto mortar on the compacted aggregate. whacker plates can be hired from Speedy Hire. Warning - heavy & unwielding!!.

Ensure the patio has a very slight tilt away from your property which makes water drain away. My patio is about an inch lower at one end so rain drains into the lawn.

Be very careful about cleaning - acid based cleaners can cause reactions with iron in types of stone and ruin your patio. Karcher stone jet wash detergent is OK on my sandstone patio.

Seal the patio with a good stone sealant to guard against oil spills, water etc.

Enjoy.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Concrete may be needed if he's being priced for a resin surface.
Edit
I suspect its Lean mix concrete which is a superb base if laid at the right depth.
Good for all paving on poor ground.
Even better with a type one base under it though this is driveway load bearing specifications

Just to clear that up

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 5534473, member: 9609"]never heard of that - looks interesting, but also looks a bit council offices / care home stylee[/QUOTE]

It's nice on a drive or walkway.
Not something I'd want in my garden tho

Top Bottom