I am giving in.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had one as a company car they're not all they are cracked up to be I kept losing the passenger
Handy for when the wife starts nagging

What is it's range? How do you charge it? Do you have to pay the £40pm how old was it for £5k?
Range depends on weather, much like cycling. When its warm around 80 miles, but was down to 55 in sub-zero temps at start of year.

Mostly plugged into the house, but have used a charging point in a city center multi-story too (which is free and a full charge helps to offset the car park charge too :okay:). Had a charging point installed a couple of weeks after buying it. Installation is subsidized by Government.Have got a 13A charge cable too, but its stupid slow for a full charge (around 10 hours) so its not an official way of charging and only been used a couple of times.

It's a 63 plate, had it for nearly 2 years now. From what dealer told us it had just come off a 3 year PCP deal and Renault had bought a lot back as they didn't want residuals dropping through the floor (EV seem quite bad on that) then slowly selling them on.

Battery is on a £40/month lease. One bit I really don't like about it. An outright battery buy is possible apparently but around £4k - pretty much doubling the purchase price. Seems concern about battery life may be a bit inflated as they all seem to be lasting longer in use than predicted.

Range on newer ones has improved. Ours is a early one, later got a better motor that can add another 20 miles to range and latest ones have batteries twice the capacity. 180-200 miles is apparently quite possible.

pjd57

Veteran
Yep, just like they did with the feed in tariff for domestically produced power.

Apple and Samsung have been accused of this with their older phones but hey, built in redundancy is nothing new.
A bit off topic but in my fire brigade days , for many years I worked not far from the Hoover plant in Cambuslang.
We got loads of turnouts to their test area.
Parts were tested to destruction about sometimes fail spectacularly, causing smoke to trigger the alarm.
Guys working there told us if a £1 part lasted longer than X amount of hours they would try a 50p version.

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
For those outside the big cities, there will be many good Deisel cars available at low prices soon.

Starting from 2021 London will introduce an Ultra High Emmissions Zone that extends out to the North/South Circular (about 5 miles from the centre).
This will charge you silly money to drive in a desiel engine.
Later it will be extended to petrol
Once it's up and working expect lots of other UK towns and cities to follow

(A number of cities in Germany have introduced these zones over the last year or so, the UK will be 5 years behind them)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A Zoe would suit me for my commute as we have free chargers and preferential parking slots. But, I couldn't get to the caravan with one.

The depreciation is astronomical, but as said eatlier, 3 year old ones are super cheap. Battery rental not a huge issue, as its cheaper than the fuel i use by a considerable margin.

Tempted with a hybrid, but the only one I fancy is more performance related, but will return better fuel efficiency than my current car round town.

D

Deleted member 26715

@Piemaster Thank you I've seen one for sale about 20 miles away think I'll go look at the weekend

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
False? Up to 40,000 people a year die of illnesses related to the type of air pollution that diesels do best (or worst, if you're one of those affected), so any action to reduce diesel use on that premise is hardly false.

Conversely, it is most excellent to extract as much life out of a car as possible rather than keep making new ones.

http://www.airportwatch.org.uk/2017...conventional-due-to-more-tyre-and-brake-wear/

It seems that electric cars are virtually as bad for particulates as those with conventional engines.

I guess I'll keep my diesel.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
For those outside the big cities, there will be many good Deisel cars available at low prices soon.

Starting from 2021 London will introduce an Ultra High Emmissions Zone that extends out to the North/South Circular (about 5 miles from the centre).
This will charge you silly money to drive in a desiel engine.
Later it will be extended to petrol
Once it's up and working expect lots of other UK towns and cities to follow

)
Will it apply to lorries and buses too?

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Although as a percentage private cars are responsible for more emissions than commercial vehicles, by quite some margin.
I would rather follow a diesel car than a bus or a lorry, and in any case, it doesn't answer my question.

Drago

Legendary Member
I wouldn't be so sure about that. When the emissions scandal broke some research was done on tailpipe emissions in the so called "real world". In the live environment the Passat diseasel was dirtier than an HGV tractor unit. The difference is cars were tested (and cheating) in a lab and sod the open road, whereas commercial vehicles of any real size were subject to live environment emissions testing on a real track, so in actual use were often cleaner than cars.

Due to this bizarre difference in testing standards we have an entire generation of cars that are smeggier in adtual 'real world' use than many commercial vehicles ten or more times their weight. The new Euro testing standards address this dichotomy some what, but it'll be another generation before the existing offenders are off the road.

And, sorry, but what was your question?

Last edited:
Top Bottom