I am looking for a basic 3 speed bike for shoping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

windy7777

id prefer i internal hub . its very hilly here my round trip would be 10 miles. ps if i already made this post im sorry. i thought i did but dont see it any wheres

Chris S

Legendary Member
If you live in a hilly city then don't get a 3 speed bike. The lowest gear you can get with a 22T sprocket is about 40 inches.
Get an MTB and put slicks on it, the lowest gear will be about 26 inches.

Deeferdonk

Regular
This meets your brief of basic 3 speed internal hub, will carry lots of shopping, is bombproof and cheap. However due to weight, gearing probably a pig on the hills - but if you are strong or have plenty of time to hop off and push when needed might not be an issue for you. You may find similar style dutch bikes with 3 speed hub gears also.
elephant bike

What Chris suggests is probably the most straightforward, cost effective solution. But if you are insistent on hub gears look out for bikes with shimano alfine or nexus, 8 or 11 speed hubs for wider gearing range. These tend to be more expensive than their derailleur geared equivalents though.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ideal job for a basic ebike if the idea is just to get the shopping rather than any interest in cycling.

RichardB

Slightly retro

My grand-daughter, who lives in Edinburgh, has bought one of these and loves it. However, she is young, and strong, and fit, and seeks out opportunities for intense exercise.

I'm 66 and averagely fit. It's hilly round here too. My MTB has a low gear of 26" and I need every one of those inches every time I go for a ride. MTB with slicks is the way to go. Probably cheapest option as well.

In answer to the second question: yes, a lot of dealers have sold out of affordable bikes, and they are hard to find on the secondhand market as well. No doubt the market will correct itself before too long, but at the moment getting a reasonable bike is quite a challenge. I know; I've tried.

OP
OP
W

windy7777

dang i think im going to wait to this mess is over. i have a feeling there will be a surplus of bikes

Juliansou

Another shout out for the Elephant bike. No great hills in Essex ( more inclines) but as long as you reconcile yourself to not getting up them quickly, an Elephant bike does the job! Absolutely love mine & you’re supporting a great cause. Here’s mine (with a few additions!)

tyred

Legendary Member
It's amazing what can be climbed on a 40" gear.

For a 10 mile round trip, a three speed would be fine IMO unless you really want to maximise your journey time/ average speed. For an unhurried utility trip, having to walk an occasional hill if necessary won't make much time difference and if it goes up, then it must come back down again.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Another shout out for the Elephant bike. No great hills in Essex ( more inclines) but as long as you reconcile yourself to not getting up them quickly, an Elephant bike does the job! Absolutely love mine & you’re supporting a great cause. Here’s mine (with a few additions!)
View attachment 548951

The box is classy. However, I would suggest something in oak or walnut with dovetail corners and a bit of inlay or marquetry on the lid would look slightly classier.

OP
OP
W

windy7777

im in northern Georgia usa if that matters we dont have side walks .so it may be safer to ride in the grass. this town residents are not very bike friendly

Chris S

Legendary Member
It's amazing what can be climbed on a 40" gear.

For a 10 mile round trip, a three speed would be fine IMO unless you really want to maximise your journey time/ average speed. For an unhurried utility trip, having to walk an occasional hill if necessary won't make much time difference and if it goes up, then it must come back down again.
I can do all my local hills in a 43 inch gear but it's hard going. There are a few outside Birmingham (The Lickeys) that MTBers have to crawl up in bottom gear. They actually seem to enjoy it!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
+1 on the "no three-speed for hills" mantra!

I'm currently in the process of selling my ofo (Shimano 3sp hub); one of the reasons being that it sucks getting up our 10% ish hill on the way back from the shops, especially with 10kg of shopping hanging off my back.

Evidently you're not from these shores but from the situation over here, new bikes are in short supply / perhaps commanding a premium, however if you're happy to buy used and are just looking for a cheap utility hack the world is your oyster. Sounds like your best bet would be a hybrid or perhaps MTB with slicks... wouldn't entertain the idea of riding on the grass over the road though - suspect that'll soon get old!

Top Bottom