I am not a cyclist, I am an ad man

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I wonder how he feels about the nice salary and all the trappings that this advertising by multi million Euro companies provides him with?
Yes I thought so. ^_^

I get his point i think, I'm not sure he is actually railing against the sponsors as you suspect, I feel it's probably more of a throwaway humourous line about people being unimpressed with him being a cyclist. But if it's read the way you've interpreted it, I'm guessing the less fortunate riders who are struggling to get a sponsor or a pro contract might not have the greatest of sympathy!

Troublesome medium sometimes, Twitter.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Of course - why else would sponsors throw money at plastering their name all over various high-profile sports if it wasn't to push their brand image and drive sales..?

Football is perhaps the most extreme and grotesque example.. intrinsically the ability to skillfully kick a ball about is pretty much worthless.. However, the ability to sell out the attention of the masses that's gained by a player's ability to do so is very lucrative :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I wonder how he feels about the nice salary and all the trappings that this advertising by multi million Euro companies provides him with?
Yes I thought so. ^_^

I get his point i think, I'm not sure he is actually railing against the sponsors as you suspect, I feel it's probably more of a throwaway humourous line about people being unimpressed with him being a cyclist. But if it's read the way you've interpreted it, I'm guessing the less fortunate riders who are struggling to get a sponsor or a pro contract might not have the greatest of sympathy!

Troublesome medium sometimes, Twitter.

Steady on, I don't suspect he's railing against sponsors at all.

I think it's what I said - witty and insightful.

He's obviously an intelligent man, so is probably aware he has taken a risk in upsetting a sponsor.

Am I right that he is coming towards the end of his career?

It may be a calculated risk that he wouldn't have taken if he had more years ahead of him.

The people following sports are the unwitting mugs actually paying to advertise wares. People doing the shopping wearing football shirts emblazoned with lager brands or airlines, like a walking advert. I've seen cycling tops advertising multiple products, worn by Joe public, who paid to wear it.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
F1 cars are mobile adverts.
snooker players are now covered in adverts.

Boxers sometimes have the soles of their shoes sponsored.

AE011633-4EA3-4C7A-9EFF-77DB16513E77.png

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Boxers sometimes have the soles of their shoes sponsored.

View attachment 506729

Have you been injured at work? Call this number...

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
It was Jeremy Clarkson (stick with it, it's worth it) who introduced Mark Webber as:
"A recently retired driver for the marketing department of a soft-drinks manufacturer".

johnblack

Über Member
The people following sports are the unwitting mugs actually paying to advertise wares. People doing the shopping wearing football shirts emblazoned with lager brands or airlines, like a walking advert. I've seen cycling tops advertising multiple products, worn by Joe public, who paid to wear it.
Tell me about it, my 10 year old Euskaltel Euskadi bibs, directly correlates to the increase in take up of Basque telecoms in South Northamptonshire over the same period......and what have they paid me?

D

Deleted member 26715

Once met an old bloke at the checkout, who was turning his then free bags inside out, when I asked him why, he said that they didn't pay him to walk down the street advertising their shop. I also had an argument with a used car salesman, he'd had a sticker put in the back window, a vinyl badge put on the tailgate & logo'd number plates put on a car I was about to buy, when I asked for £50 off he refused, so I gave him the option, pay up, take the logo's off or I don't want the car. I went & bought another one privately, far better deal in the end.

Top Bottom