I am now booked in for LEJOG from 20 May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
thanks @Ajax Bay . Plan is lunchtime start Monday, and Pub/campsite at Stithians. Then a long haul to Bridestow on Tues for campsite and the pub. Weds to Wiveliscombe and camp in garden of pub. Thurs Bristol where I have friends. I don't really want to drag it out to 4.5 days but will do if need be

Kit list will be up at some point! Being more ruthless than usual

Lappi

Regular
Good luck, you will love every bit of it. Looked at your route the only bits that are the same as we did last Sept are, 1, the worst bit of road on the whole ride, the A74 alongside the motorway, so rough and boring, 2, the final days from Inverardran to J O'G is the same route as we did, the General Wade Military Way up the Southern side of Lock Ness is hard work but well worth it, the route from Dingwall to the end just got better the higher we went. Hope you have much better weather than we had, very heavy rain and gale force gusts at Glenco made you concentrate as the lorries and buses where overtaking. If you have time do the detour to Dunnet Head would be a shame not too after going all that way.
Take care and good luck.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Thanks @Lappi - just been out for a spin and bike feeling good. Put B17 back on in place of Spoon and very happy I have

Re avoiding the A74 any good alternatives?

Ajax Bay

Guru
In Scotland, I confess an antipathy to the road paralleling the M74: noise and lack of 'imagination'. Mercifully I've only 'had' to take it as far as Moffat (on LEL, after sunset Day 2).
the worst bit of road on the whole ride, the A74 alongside the motorway, so rough and boring,
Re avoiding the A74 any good alternatives?
Note that the A74 is actually the A74(M) as far as Abington and then becomes the M74. The 'old' mian road alongside the motorway is the B7076/7078 till you do battle with Glasgow's satellite towns.
Discarding the option to take the fantastic scenic LEL southbound (B709 up Eskdalemuir and through Innerleithen) the route choice (for you) is effectively Moffat to Callander.
Google Walking has this at 139km trekking up alongside the M74 as far as Abington and then cutting N.
This route is 154km but you'd miss out crossing the Campsie Fells and Fintry Hills.
Moffat, A701, L on B7016, Forth, B715, B7010 + L, Harthill, Falkirk (east of), J6 M9 (NB cyclepath option to cross), A905, Bridge of Allan, B824, B8032, Callendar
Rode some of this on LEL 2017 and West Highlands 1000 2018.

Lappi

Regular
Correct Alex, re the A74, we left Moffat via the B 701 then B 709 before rejoining the B 7076 having come from Keswick the following day via Carlisle, Gretna. Just found the B 7076 to be very rough and boring, didn't help being a head wind most of the way. We headed up to Glasgow via the B 7076, A 702, B 7078 A 72 & A 724 as far as Cambuslang then dropped onto the Cycle route 75 & 7 along the Clyde all the way to Alexandria (Loch Lomand) Getting through Glasgow was a lot easier then expected the route along the Clyde was generally very good. Following day we followed the West side of Loch Lomond, with some fantastic views of the Loch before joining your route at Inverardran. Whichever way you go, you will enjoy it, take your time and savour it.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
That looks good and I like your use of the canal path near Falkirk. If you don't want to miss the Fintry Hills then there's the option to go west from Falkirk and take the B818 from Denny. I've not cycled that road but the terrain looks lovely on the OS 1:50,000.
the canal path was RWGPS choosing! I am a not a big fan generally with panniers on. I am going to double check the route now

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I have tinkered and tidied a little. I actually avoided the canal as it looks like a pretty mile, but a locked gate at the one end, and narrow under a bridge at one point. Thanks to both for your helpful tips. I am going to take that option! to avoid the old A74

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Ajax Bay

Guru
you can go right at Gretna Green and follow the lanes to Kirtleton House then Boreland then Moffat you'll get these kind of views.
Yes, that line was shared as the 'alternate' option on LEL northbound to Moffat. Have a look at this:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23286633 (not mine). I rode this leg (from Brampton to Moffat) from sunset to midnight so the lower road route (via Lockerbie) was the obvious choice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
OK kit list time. I have certain comfort levels, otherwise I tend to carry all the kit then stay in hotels without actually using the kit.

Doing the jumping on and off scales malarkey I make the two panniers and dry bag 16kg. Kit list here https://www.dropbox.com/s/0mqiulhptq8wxb6/jay clock kit list 2019.pdf?dl=0

No comments about how I have got it all wrong and that I should bite my nails to save taking clippers. I have toured a lot and know what I need/like!

Top Bottom