I am officially a proper cyclist now!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got my bike back at the weekend from the LBS. Nice shinny new chain, cassette, cables, rear wheel rim etc. All nicely oiled, aligned etc.

On Sunday I cycled to work (lovely weather!!). I think I must have been grinning the whole way to work. Not only did the gears feel smooth again, the bike just seemed to glide. I also realised that although my brakes had been adequate they were now super powerful again!! Even the noises from the bike (nice chinks instead of grinding clunks) put a smile on my face.

I got to work realising how much I had enjoyed the experience, and then it hit me. To get so much pleasure just riding my bike to work I must now be.............. a proper cyclist xx(:ohmy::biggrin::biggrin:

(Looking at metcheck for the weather, it looks like the grinning is set to continue for the rest of the week :biggrin:)

snorri

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
I think I must have been grinning the whole way to work.

So you haven't seen the LBS bill yet:?: xx( :ohmy:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

snorri said:
So you haven't seen the LBS bill yet:?: xx( :ohmy:

Actually he managed to save the front chain rings so it turned out a bit cheaper than I thought (and I got 10% off for being a CTC member :biggrin:).

We got into a discussion about hub gears, and he agreed that it might be a good idea for the future that would save me money in the long run. In fact he suggested that my frame could take a hub with tensioner so that I could run two front chain rings. I didn't know you could do that. This would provide me with a good range of gears. I asked how much this would set me back and I was quoted a rough 'just over £200'. Tempting for the next big service.....:smile:

domtyler

Über Member
You're better off in the long run just learning how to do basic maintenance yourself, firstly it's cheaper, and secondly you get a bike that always runs well.

Tetedelacourse

magnatom said:
I got my bike back at the weekend from the LBS. Nice shinny new chain, cassette, cables, rear wheel rim etc. All nicely oiled, aligned etc.

On Sunday I cycled to work (lovely weather!!). I think I must have been grinning the whole way to work. Not only did the gears feel smooth again, the bike just seemed to glide. I also realised that although my brakes had been adequate they were now super powerful again!! Even the noises from the bike (nice chinks instead of grinding clunks) put a smile on my face.

I got to work realising how much I had enjoyed the experience, and then it hit me. To get so much pleasure just riding my bike to work I must now be.............. a proper cyclist xx(:ohmy::biggrin::biggrin:

(Looking at metcheck for the weather, it looks like the grinning is set to continue for the rest of the week :biggrin:)

Sweet.

Maz

Guru
Those of you that do your own maintenance - does that include attempting to change the chain/chainset/casettes?
I think I'd be too scared of completely ballsing it up, tbh.

biking_fox

Guru
Changing the chain and front rings, really is quite simple. Difficult to balls up. Possible of course but take note (ie actually write down) how things are set up before hand, and it isn't hard.

I suspect the cassette is probably similarly simple, but I haven't done that yet. I think it needs yet another special tool....

But the joy of funning on a properly set up bike is worth it. Tail wind helps too of course!

Arch

Married to Night Train
biking_fox said:
I suspect the cassette is probably similarly simple, but I haven't done that yet. I think it needs yet another special tool....

As with most jobs, having the right tool makes it easier - and without the right tool, some things are impossible. There's not much on a bike I coudn't tackle, perhaps with a how-to book to hand to remind me. Whether I do stuff myself or not depends how lazy I feel, how much money I have to burn (not much) or how likely I am to find a mate to do it in return for a few beers.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

At the moment with family and work commitments I just don't have the time to mess about with the bike. Also as I need it to get to work every day I can't afford to mess about with it.

Maybe when the kids are older and my patent has made me a millionaire I will find some time to mess about with the bike xx(

Maz

Guru
magnatom said:
At the moment with family and work commitments I just don't have the time to mess about with the bike. Also as I need it to get to work every day I can't afford to mess about with it.
I can definitely relate to that, mag. Spend more than 20 minutes on doing the odd job on the bike and I'm accused of reneging on my parental duties and living in my own world. xx(

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Maz said:
I can definitely relate to that, mag. Spend more than 20 minutes on doing the odd job on the bike and I'm accused of reneging on my parental duties and living in my own world. :smile:
20 minutes!! Your children will never have that 20 minutes again. Such waste... :ohmy::biggrin: Actually my wife is very good and would never hold me to ransom, but I myself feel guilty if I am not with the kids. Sometimes I even enjoy being with the kids....:biggrin:xx(:smile::biggrin:;)

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Maz said:
Those of you that do your own maintenance - does that include attempting to change the chain/chainset/casettes?
I think I'd be too scared of completely ballsing it up, tbh.

Yep - did them all at the same time back in April, after my Edinburgh Bike CoOp Intensive Maintenance course gave me the courage and know-how. I had to take the cranks off too as my front chainrings and crank were one item, and the chainrings couldn't just be taken off and replaced individually.

If I could manage it and not cock it up, anyone can do it. Before the course, I was too scared to even try adjusting the gears !

Top Bottom