I am officially out of touch with fashion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok. To be fair I've never considered myself particularly fashion conscious.

As a 55 year old male my clothes shopping paradigm is to visit M&S roughly every three years and buy myself enough clothes to last the following three.

I particularly wanted some smart/casual short-sleeve shirts as I've lost over four stone since taking up cycling a couple of years ago and ny current shirts have become somewhat tent-like. This is when I became conscious of the fact that fashion had permeated even the hallowed halls of the M&S Men's Department.

I don't want to look like a lumberjack. I've only recently come to terms with wearing Lycra in public places!

I'm not Canadian, although to be fair I do own a canoe. Neither do I sport any kind of beard which seems to becoming more and more popular each year.

Almost all of the shirts on display featured some kind of check pattern (what's wrong with stripes?), a button down collar (yuch) and tiny little tight, turned-up sleeves, presumably to show off the wearer's big bulging lumberjack biceps and tattoos.

I exited the store with four pairs of Y-fronts and a pair of casual shorts to last me for the next three years.

I then had a quick look in Next and Top Man. Big mistake!

I am officially old.

Graham

winjim

Smash the cistern
I am old enough to have received an M&S voucher as a gift, young enough that they don't stock trousers in my size.

Lee_M

Guru
I am the same age as the OP but would only ever shop in M&S for a suit.

Other clothing I wear is, like to think, styish, without being "on trend", and my jeans defintely don't hang below my undercrackers!

Anyone buying short sleeved office shirts or "fred perry" shirts should be hung by the tie pin until they are dead.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Mr WD hasn't been trendy or anything near fashionable for at least the last 40 years plus. Although to be fair, jeans and T-shirts are timeless atire. The last time he was trendy, was when platform soled shoes were all the rage. :laugh:. Thank god he doesn't care anymore, and so do I.

It's hard to go wrong buying clothes, when the things you wear never stop being sold.:okay:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Mr WD hasn't been trendy or anything near fashionable for at least the last 40 years plus. Although to be fair, jeans and T-shirts are timeless atire. The last time he was trendy, was when platform soled shoes were all the rage. :laugh:. Thank god he doesn't care anymore, and so do I.

It's hard to go wrong buying clothes, when the things you wear never stop being sold.:okay:
Yep, Converse baseball boots keep coming back into fashion. :becool:

Top Bottom