I am puzzled...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
The new software offers the ability to add prefixes to threads, which I eventually plan to put into practice on the rides forum for regional tagging - but until then, just make sure you mention the area in the start of your thread title and if you don't get a lot of takers straight away, just occasionally bump the thread to see if it generates more interest.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Milo

Guru
I tried to organize a meet round my way noone seemed bothered. Although I have met a couple of folk from here. That was a few years ago now mind.

The new software offers the ability to add prefixes to threads, which I eventually plan to put into practice on the rides forum for regional tagging - but until then, just make sure you mention the area in the start of your thread title and if you don't get a lot of takers straight away, just occasionally bump the thread to see if it generates more interest.

Cheers,

Can you set your own location? Rather than the software picking it up for you? I rather give a general idea of my location rather than the exact street location :blush:

Norm

Can you set your own location? Rather than the software picking it up for you? I rather give a general idea of my location rather than the exact street location :blush:
Unless you put in your street location, the software wouldn't have anywhere to pick it up from.

OP
OP
BluesDave

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
Unless you put in your street location, the software wouldn't have anywhere to pick it up from.

Does that explain why I appear to be somewhere in the middle of America on the map rather than Morden in Surrey, England, Near Wimbledon which is where I actually am?
Aha I've just given my location haven't I which means that I may find the cycling buddy.
Heres the link to my ad which got no replies... http://london.craigslist.co.uk/stp/2784141062.html
Perhaps that's because I was looking for a lady cycling buddy a creature that is few and far between round here. Only because Tricia got married and moved to Canada, although TBH we hadn't been on a bike ride together for a while but had remained friends.
So a female mate who likes cycling and would hold an intelligent conversation with me on any subject and enjoy a pint on a visit to somewhere interesting, nope I think I'm going to have to build one of those myself.:sad:

I think that the truth is that we make each other believe that we are better than we really are, thus dont meet to avoid crushing our pride :rofl:
Or vice versa, many on here I believe don't think they are good enough to do a forum ride, yes there are those who are just starting out who will not be ready yet to ride with others, but for the majority a forum ride is a great experience.
I'm just about to run my 4th forum ride and I've been on several others and no one is laughing at anyone else or making them look slow, it's about being social, helping, and giving / getting advice.
I think you are right though that some on here talk themselves up a bit and they are not the ones likely to come on a forum ride. There is a bit of a dearth of lady riders and I believe much of this is down to confidence and fear of being too slow, not having the right gear/look/bike.
My advice to David is take the plunge, nothing to lose and much to gain, if he were closer I would say come and try my Rutland rides as there is always at least one female present.
More people need to register themselves on the map, approximate location is fine.

Shaun

Founder
If you're thinking about joining a forum ride, stop thinking about it and go for it!!! :smile:

At worst you'll simply not enjoy the experience - okay, fine, at least you tried - well done for giving it a go.

BUT ... I expect most will really enjoy it and you'll find that you ride further, enjoy the company (and make new friends), and feel less knackered at the end than you usually do.

The social element of riding with a group really does do a great job of distracting you from the fitness you're gaining too, and far from being shouted at for falling behind, I've often had people hang back and encourage me - especially on hills, I hate hills ... :laugh:

Give it a go ... you might find you like it ... a lot ... :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Or vice versa, many on here I believe don't think they are good enough to do a forum ride, yes there are those who are just starting out who will not be ready yet to ride with others, but for the majority a forum ride is a great experience.
I'm just about to run my 4th forum ride and I've been on several others and no one is laughing at anyone else or making them look slow, it's about being social, helping, and giving / getting advice.
I think you are right though that some on here talk themselves up a bit and they are not the ones likely to come on a forum ride. There is a bit of a dearth of lady riders and I believe much of this is down to confidence and fear of being too slow, not having the right gear/look/bike.
My advice to David is take the plunge, nothing to lose and much to gain, if he were closer I would say come and try my Rutland rides as there is always at least one female present.
More people need to register themselves on the map, approximate location is fine.

I was just being silly but I can vouch for what you are saying. I always find it a little 'intimidating' meeting up with other people and being really self conscious of holding people up or ruining their day out by lagging behind. But in all cases it's just all in my mind and everyone couldnt be more helpful and supportive.

So if you are in doubt go for it. I wish I lived in a more 'active' area to do members group rides more often, so if you do have a chance dont miss out! :smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

I've done three forum rides and they have been excellent, I'm watching the thread on the next Rutland ride, unfortunately for me its planned for a Sunday, getting over there for the start by train on a Sunday is almost impossible.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think that if anybody were to send a pm or an e-mail to a ride organiser, then the organiser would get back to them and go through the 'am I fast/hard/smart enough?' question. Having said that I think that ride organisers (I'm thinking of myself) might take a another look at the way we present the rides and think through how accessible they appear to be...

pubrunner

Legendary Member

+ 1

I've been on only two rides and they were both great.

ColinJ's ride from Settle was the first that I did and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The pace was fine and not overly quick . . . . . . . which was great !!! It gave me time to appreciate the wonderful scenery. And if some of the riders were less quick up the hills, it really didn't matter - more time to take in the views. At the end of the ride, we got back to Settle at about 8.30pm - & I didn't get back to Shropshire until a few hours later. If we'd had a shorter pub stop and less time at the cafe and also 'cracked on' a bit, we could have been hours quicker. But to what end ? I'd have seen less and would have had less time to actually chat to the other riders.

As totallyfixed has mentioned, no-one laughs at anyone or makes them look slow; it really is about being social. Oh yes, I didn't notice any 'bike snobbery' - the only bike that I can remember from the rides that I've done, is evilclive's awesome Cannondale tandem.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Having said that I think that ride organisers (I'm thinking of myself) might take a another look at the way we present the rides and think through how accessible they appear to be...

I've not done one of Dell's rides, but I can thoroughly recommend anything organised by ColinJ. The 'tone' of the ride, is very much a reflection of the organiser; Colin's rides are accessible to all. There is no 'show', no fuss, no 'racing', no drama . . . . . . . but no detail missed, and inept newbies (such as myself ^_^ ), are made very welcome by all.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh shucks ... :blush:

I am actually pretty unfit at the moment and most people on my hilly rides have to wait quite a long time for me on the hills - I don't look like my avatar these days - as one or two CCers have pointed out! That picture is about 4 or 5 years old and I was much fitter then so I remember waiting for slower riders in my time.

I make sure that everyone knows that the pace will be slow so they don't get frustrated. I also think it is reassuring for slow riders to know that I am slow. Steve H and potsy started off last year at least as slow as me but it was a pleasure to watch them getting fitter every time I rode with them. Unfortunately. I didn't make the same progress ... :whistle:

Arch came along on one of my hilly rides and I don't think she'd mind me saying that she found it quite hard, but I know she enjoyed it because she booked herself onto a hilly local audax soon afterwards! I gave her a little gentle encouragement to ride a bit faster on the last few miles because I'd calculated that if we went 1 mph faster, she would catch her train to York and if not she'd have to hang about for an hour to catch the next one. We got to the station with minutes to spare!

I think that forum rides are the icing on the CycleChat cake - come and try a slice! :hello:

Top Bottom