I blame Bonj...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
It took a couple of years of getting soaking wet (but not really dirty other than bits of grit off the road), before I accepted that for me, on MY commute, not having them was a bit stupid. I was 26 when I made that decision. I no longer have any shame and at the age of 29 am even moving on to mudflaps to go with them so that my winter riding on mucky roads (mostly past farms so loads of shoot and mud) is far more bearable.

My mudguards are cool as f**k - no question. I won't accept any pointers on what is cool or not on a bike from people who think Assos, the gimp/euro-camp champions of lycra, is stylish bike kit :rolleyes:

redjedi

Über Member
Sheldon Brown said:
Who Needs Fenders?
If you are a "fair weather" cyclist, you don't need fenders, but if you are a serious cyclist, and don't live in a desert climate, you really should have at least one bicycle with fenders.
Fenders by themselves won't keep you dry in a pounding rain, but they make a tremendous difference when you are riding roads that are wet from drizzle, recent rain, or snow-melt. Even in hard rain, you will become wet with clean rain from above, but your body and bicycle will be protected from the mud and sand kicked up from dirty puddles and rivulets.
So Sheldon Brown says that Bonj is a fair weather cyclist only, unless there is a secret dessert somewhere in the UK.

There is no way you can stay clean without mudguards.

I think there is only one way to prove that Bonj is telling the truth, and that is for someone to witness him riding in the rain.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
redjedi said:
So Sheldon Brown says that Bonj is a fair weather cyclist only, unless there is a secret dessert somewhere in the UK.

Oooo.... dessert. Tiramisu or Sticky Toffee Pudding. Or just plain old Vienetta ?

That'd make far more mess to cycle through than mud & rain :blush:

(I think you meant 'desert')

redjedi

Über Member
goo_mason said:
Oooo.... dessert. Tiramisu or Sticky Toffee Pudding. Or just plain old Vienetta ?

That'd make far more mess to cycle through than mud & rain :blush:

I was thinking more of a cheesecake, hoefully it's lemon :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
goo_mason said:

That'd make far more mess to cycle through than mud & rain :ohmy:

Mississippi Mud Pie, surely?:smile:

goo_mason said:

That'd make far more mess to cycle through than mud & rain ;)

I'm for the Tiramisu. Yummy:hungry:.

P.S. I think that no matter how cool or uncool mudguards look if they keep your back and bum dry then i'll fit them.

Top Bottom