I bought a winter jacket yesterday

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by Accy cyclist, 29 Jul 2012.

1. I've been after a practical well recommended decent priced autumn/winter jacket for a while, so i bought one of these http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/p/21379/altura-night-vision-jacket/ . I bought it at a local bike shop for £69.90 which i thought was the going rate, then i found the one for a tenner less(Free p+p) on the link provided.:ohmy: Anyway, it's only available in same old fluorescent yellow on the websites, and seeing as black is the "in colour"...i got it in RAC man/postman fluorescent orange at the shop!:becool:
    I tried it out on a 25 mile run, in the wind,cloud and sunshine, with the odd shower. The temp was about 64F so it wasn't too warm but warm enough to sweat in a poor jacket, but this one must have got rid of 80% of my sweat. So come the colder months which is what it's intended for i should be sorted! :thumbsup:

2. topcat1

topcat1 vintage Mercian 2012

I've been buying a lot of winter kit lately using all of *the tour* discounts, best time to buy:addict:

3. I wouldn't really call it a 'winter' jacket, as it doesn't have any thermal properties - it's just a plastic bag with a mesh lining. Good at being waterproof though, although you will still boil in it on long rides...even in winter... :smile:

4. I didnt realise any of the tour gear was winter based cycling gear - and there are some handsome offers about at the moment - any chance of a link????????????? .....

and a bit of advice to stop me spending £70 on a boil in the bag winter jacket would also come in handy, whats a 'gud un' thats well woth my hard earned cash?

5. OP
    OP
    Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist Guru

It'll be a winter jacket when i stick a breathable(ish)fleece under it, and i'm not a sweaty type, even on long hot rides, so i'm happy!;)

6. OP
    OP
    Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist Guru

I presume that if you want to keep out the rain you buy a plastic one. If you want to keep out the cold you buy a fleecy one. To buy them combined i've heard of silly prices like 190 quid Gore-Tex ones, and even then some of the reviews say that they're not perfect at either task. Believe me, unless you're exceptionally sweaty the Altura one is a decent jacket, and it has loads of "If you can't see me you must be blind or stupid" reflectors on!

7. topcat1

topcat1 vintage Mercian 2012

i was refering to the deals that were running during the tour

eg extra 20% off for every day Sparticus wore yello

8. Ok, thanks chaps :smile:

9. cyberknight

cyberknight As long as I breathe, I attack.

+1
    Even mid winter i only use a standard windproof with a long sleeve base layer +ss jersey on top as i find after a few miles the boil in the bag effect keeps me warm enough, when it got down to - 10 i had 2 base layers on though :smile:

10. OP
    OP
    Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist Guru

I also wear a thin base layer and sometimes a cycle jersey for the extra pockets under a water proof jacket.:thumbsup: However i can't recall cycling in minus 10, or minus anything to come that! Are you talking about narrow road tyres in freezing conditions?:cold::ohmy:

11. cyberknight

cyberknight As long as I breathe, I attack.

Yes , done it on 23 mm road tyres two years ago when we had that prolonged cold spell the but i prefer to dig out the rigid MTB with conti travel contacts .I know that you can get spiked tyres but i get on ok with what i have , remember walking about a mile up a single track lane last winter as i mistakenly thought it would be clear enough to ride and it turned out to be slick ice....

12. 'breathable' fleece won't be very breathable with one of those over it... ;)

13. DrLex

DrLex merely the moocher

Bought a Power Ranger-style Mavic Inferno winter jacket almost fortnight ago from CRC in their clearance & it's almost been 20deg+ ever since. Gone in the cupboard as a Chrimble gift to myself.

Almost time for the "what winter lights" threads to start popping up...

14. OP
    OP
    Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist Guru

I can't keep trying to convince you so we'll leave it at that. I'm happy so that's what counts!:cheers:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice