I bought a winter jacket yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've been after a practical well recommended decent priced autumn/winter jacket for a while, so i bought one of these http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/p/21379/altura-night-vision-jacket/ . I bought it at a local bike shop for £69.90 which i thought was the going rate, then i found the one for a tenner less(Free p+p) on the link provided.:ohmy: Anyway, it's only available in same old fluorescent yellow on the websites, and seeing as black is the "in colour"...i got it in RAC man/postman fluorescent orange at the shop!:becool:
I tried it out on a 25 mile run, in the wind,cloud and sunshine, with the odd shower. The temp was about 64F so it wasn't too warm but warm enough to sweat in a poor jacket, but this one must have got rid of 80% of my sweat. So come the colder months which is what it's intended for i should be sorted! :thumbsup:

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
I've been buying a lot of winter kit lately using all of *the tour* discounts, best time to buy:addict:

I wouldn't really call it a 'winter' jacket, as it doesn't have any thermal properties - it's just a plastic bag with a mesh lining. Good at being waterproof though, although you will still boil in it on long rides...even in winter... :smile:

I've been buying a lot of winter kit lately using all of *the tour* discounts, best time to buy:addict:

I didnt realise any of the tour gear was winter based cycling gear - and there are some handsome offers about at the moment - any chance of a link????????????? .....

and a bit of advice to stop me spending £70 on a boil in the bag winter jacket would also come in handy, whats a 'gud un' thats well woth my hard earned cash?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I wouldn't really call it a 'winter' jacket, as it doesn't have any thermal properties - it's just a plastic bag with a mesh lining. Good at being waterproof though, although you will still boil in it on long rides...even in winter... :smile:

It'll be a winter jacket when i stick a breathable(ish)fleece under it, and i'm not a sweaty type, even on long hot rides, so i'm happy!;)

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I didnt realise any of the tour gear was winter based cycling gear - and there are some handsome offers about at the moment - any chance of a link????????????? .....

and a bit of advice to stop me spending £70 on a boil in the bag winter jacket would also come in handy, whats a 'gud un' thats well woth my hard earned cash?
I presume that if you want to keep out the rain you buy a plastic one. If you want to keep out the cold you buy a fleecy one. To buy them combined i've heard of silly prices like 190 quid Gore-Tex ones, and even then some of the reviews say that they're not perfect at either task. Believe me, unless you're exceptionally sweaty the Altura one is a decent jacket, and it has loads of "If you can't see me you must be blind or stupid" reflectors on!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
+1
Even mid winter i only use a standard windproof with a long sleeve base layer +ss jersey on top as i find after a few miles the boil in the bag effect keeps me warm enough, when it got down to - 10 i had 2 base layers on though :smile:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
+1
Even mid winter i only use a standard windproof with a long sleeve base layer +ss jersey on top as i find after a few miles the boil in the bag effect keeps me warm enough, when it got down to - 10 i had 2 base layers on though :smile:

I also wear a thin base layer and sometimes a cycle jersey for the extra pockets under a water proof jacket.:thumbsup: However i can't recall cycling in minus 10, or minus anything to come that! Are you talking about narrow road tyres in freezing conditions?:cold::ohmy:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I also wear a thin base layer and sometimes a cycle jersey for the extra pockets under a water proof jacket.:thumbsup: However i can't recall cycling in minus 10, or minus anything to come that! Are you talking about narrow road tyres in freezing conditions?:cold::ohmy:
Yes , done it on 23 mm road tyres two years ago when we had that prolonged cold spell the but i prefer to dig out the rigid MTB with conti travel contacts .I know that you can get spiked tyres but i get on ok with what i have , remember walking about a mile up a single track lane last winter as i mistakenly thought it would be clear enough to ride and it turned out to be slick ice....

DrLex

merely the moocher
Bought a Power Ranger-style Mavic Inferno winter jacket almost fortnight ago from CRC in their clearance & it's almost been 20deg+ ever since. Gone in the cupboard as a Chrimble gift to myself.

Almost time for the "what winter lights" threads to start popping up...

Top Bottom