I can't get my dust caps off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Well,two of them won't come off. I've tried with pliers,but no luck. The two that won't budge are on the passenger side,which is the side of the car out of sight from my view from my flat,which makes me think it's someone's idea of a joke. I don't want to try to turn them too much as i think it could damage the whole valve. Any suggestions?🤔

cheys03

Veteran
Plastic? Cut them off, sharp snips or similar

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Plastic? Cut them off, sharp snips or similar
No,they're metal ones. I'm thinking of pliers holding the valve,with another pair trying to loosen the dust caps. No way have i put them back on that tight,after i last inflated my tyres a month ago. I just couldn't and wouldn't do that. Maybe they've seized up due to the freezing weather,but that's never happened to me in 43 years of driving.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Are they plastic? No offence but how good is your grip strength? If you can't get them off then they might have had superglue put on the threads. Hard to get off without mashing up the valve. You might have to take them to a garage, sorry. Yes you can saw the tops off easily but you won't be able to get a snug fit on there with a tyre inflator

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Ok metal. No they wouldn't have rusted or seized that quickly i wouldn't have thought. Pliers, bit of heat maybe, be careful. End of the day take to garage. If you trust them. Might not charge much

Drago

Legendary Member
No, it's an innocent explanation.

The valve stem bodies are a type of brass. Any other metal left in contact and then subjected to weather s3nd road salt will corrode and lock solid.

Its not an unusual occurrence. Fairy easy to remedy. Your local tyre place would charge probably a tenner or so per wheel to sort it.

Have you tried the good old expansion trick and pour hot boiling water over the valves to get the bond to release? Never heard of people supergluing caps, it’s more a case of stealing them round here!

Chislenko

Veteran
Don't know what you drive but quite common on BMW who use metal caps. I had to get them off a relative's BMW and then just replaced with some plastic ones.

From memory soaked them in WD and used vice grip type thingy.

Top Bottom