I can't get my dust caps off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Same issue with wheels - had a flat in the week and opted to call the AA out. Good job I did as the alloy wheel was not coming off once the wheel nuts were removed and it took a good few thuds from a mallet that he had in the van to shift it.
Had this too. Now I put a very thin layer of copper grease on the contact points between wheel hub and wheel to prevent it. Emphasis on "thin layer" so that it doesn't spin off under centrifugal forces on to your brake discs!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Is the nut off yet.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Is the nut off yet.
Last seen 03:48 today.... :okay:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Same issue with wheels - had a flat in the week and opted to call the AA out. Good job I did as the alloy wheel was not coming off once the wheel nuts were removed and it took a good few thuds from a mallet that he had in the van to shift it.
Blimey! Do AA men not have something softer like a boot?

Drago

Legendary Member
Last seen 03:48 today.... :okay:
View attachment 572575

R.I.P. Reginald "Accy" Postlethwaite-Smythe.

Born, 1928, in the maternity wing of the Manchester workhouse and gruel factory.

Died, 2021, while using explosives to remove a valve cap.

He will be sadly missed. By someone. Probably.

No flowers, donations to the St. Ignatius home for tweed cap wearing orphans.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Accy is a good egg and can take a ribbing.
But can he take scrambling, frying or poaching?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Hey Joe! :whistle: I've read that the best way to clean a car's petrol tank out of all that sludge on the bottom is to run the engine till it conks out when the fuel runs out,then push a burning rag down into the tank,which then burns up all that sludge. Is this true?:scratch:
No, because the remains of the rag will clog the fuel pump. Best to light a cigarette and stick your mouth against the filler neck.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I had that too last year. I walked 1/2 mile up to local garage and described the issue, he said it was reasonably common and he lent me a rubber mallet and showed me where to aim it.😄 soon sorted it out and I popped his mallet back with a bottle of wine for his trouble.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No, it's an innocent explanation.

The valve stem bodies are a type of brass. Any other metal left in contact and then subjected to weather s3nd road salt will corrode and lock solid.

Its not an unusual occurrence. Fairy easy to remedy. Your local tyre place would charge probably a tenner or so per wheel to sort it.
Going on for 3 months after i found they wouldn't come off,i had them removed yesterday! I took the car to a local tyre centre and was told it'd take about 20 minutes and cost 20 quid (thinking i should've applied that £1 a minute rate when i was window cleaning!:rolleyes:). When i asked if card payment was ok he said he preferred cash.:secret: So i walked to the nearest cash point to draw 20 quid out and walked back to see my car was waiting for me.

A lesson learnt! Never again use metal valve caps!🧐

Forgot to mention. He blew all 4 tyres up to 32 psi,which he said was better than my 35 psi...and i got 4 'free' pastic dust caps,so we all went home 'appy!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom