I can't get my dust caps off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Time to get on you're bike

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Wouldn't you think the makers of these part would do summat about it. If i'd known it was going to happen i'd have put plastic caps on the valves. This is the second winter i've had the car,so why didn't it happen last year some may ask. Well,it was a mild,relatively frost,ice and salt free winter so the feckers didn't fuse to the valves i'd say.

I wonder if it'd be worth seeking legal advice about suing BMW?!🧐 :scratch:

"Hello,is that claims direct?! I'd like to sue the Bavarian Motor Works for millions"!!!
1612617723322.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
checking your tyres more frequently. Not just when they need to be inflated.
I check my tyre pressure every month. They usually drop from the recommended 37 PSI to around 34/5,so they're still safe. I'm assuming this 'fusion' has happened in the minus 5-6 Celsius we had for a few days,a fortnight ago.

gbb

Legendary Member
If your car has TMPS (tyre pressure monitoring) chances are the valve stems are alloy not brass and of course corrosion is a problem, it can actually cause the valves problems in itself.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Cut a hole big enough for 2 fingers in the tyre near to the valve, then pull the valve body out of the wheel from inside. Replace with new valves, again from inside of wheel. Easy.

Mike_P

Guru
Same issue with wheels - had a flat in the week and opted to call the AA out. Good job I did as the alloy wheel was not coming off once the wheel nuts were removed and it took a good few thuds from a mallet that he had in the van to shift it.

Top Bottom