"I can't help it if a cyclist falls over"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Certainly instructive as to why I should not read the Daily Mail. Poor journalism, trying to make it sound like the rider was thrown by the loss of control of her bicycle, while we bring in past bell ringing to the doctors' defense. And the comment about it being a second hand bicycle is also rather low. I see poor cyclists with bad habits every day as a bus driver, and people exercise care, thereby avoiding killing them. And if they did kill someone, the newspapers would not spend the greater part of an article making excuses for them. But I'm in the US, and we have our own journalistic problems.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The extreme hardship angle is I think a symptom of our** society, which places too much value on owning a car. They're considered to be absolutely essential, and so by extension, not having one is considered to be a great hardship. In other words, too many people refuse to consider the possibility of using a combination of public transport and/or cycling, and leaving private motor vehicles as a last resort.

** i.e. Australia's, and various other countries.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
No censure whatsoever? Not even a reprimand or a caution or a suspended sentence? ...where's the proportionate punishment at least for dangerous driving....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Un effing believable

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I appreciate the jury verdict was not guilty at the trial... but I would have expected the Police and CPS would have had other options for the lack of care and other driving errors, at the very least...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I appreciate the jury verdict was not guilty at the trial... but I would have expected the Police and CPS would have had other options for the lack of care and other driving errors, at the very least...

So would I, but it's perfectly acceptable to drive on the wrong side of the road into folk obviously. Don't think the driver would be saying that if the cyclist was replaced with a big nasty HGV ?

Bryony

Veteran
What a terrible result this has made me feel very sad. Whether the girl did fall off her bike in her line of travel (probably in blind panic at the sight of a car heading towards her at a speed between 40 and 50mph) she should NOT have been over taking on a bend!!! She says she didn't see them or expect to see them well sorry if you overtake on a bend you should expect to see something coming towards you!!

BSRU

A Human Being
Sadly it seems the best way to kill someone(and get off scot free) is kill them with your car then blame the cyclist for being in the wrong place:angry::sad:.

Top Bottom