"I can't help it if a cyclist falls over"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
:eek:

Speedy recovery hoped for then.

(not sure "just" is quite how I would word such injuries :unsure:, but I get what you mean).
I mean that there is no serious or life threatening injuries. I have seen the car that he hit today and the design has probably saved him. It did what it was designed to do.

Only just seen this post and am playing catch-up, so I apologise if this has been posted before. I wonder if the reaction would have differed if we substituted the cyclists in thsi story for horses, would the reaction have been the same? (sadly it probably would:sad:)

CrashMap has the location of the fatality.http://www.crashmap.co.uk/Search (type Stonor and it is the only black flag on the map). StreetView is enabled.

Notice how narrow the lanes are in the vicinity of the crash site on the bend. It is also clear that sightlines would have been compromised (more so than Street View suggests as Dr Measures' car was either partially or wholly in the opposing lane - unlike the Street View car).

Thanks for this link bud, will have to bookmark this site for future reference.
The scary thing for me is, looking at the Streetview pictures of the incident site, is that the road looks exactly like the type of road that I and I'd imagine a great many of the members on here have or do cycle along on a regular basis. I makes me shudder when I think that that could have been anyone I know, as many cyclists I am aquainted with are nervous around normal, considerate traffic, let along careless and unthinking fools such as Dr Helen Measures. It's sad that she's probably saved or had a part in saving a number of lives in her career only to take one under such tragic and totally avoidable circumstances.
Pardon me for possibly introducing a note of controversy into proceedings, but does anyone else find the inclusion in the Daily Mail article that she was a church bellringer utterly pointless? What possible bearing on the outcome of the incident can the fact that she went to church have? I was in a church choir for 13 years and served as sacristan of the church for a number more, and I don't remember receiving or being offered any how-to-drive-more-safely instruction in all that time.

Crankarm

Guru
In France the judicial system is fundamentally the reverse of ours - you are guilty until proven innocent. So quite how the French understand 12 Angry Men would be interesting. They have an inquisitorial justice system as opposed to an adversarial and jury system that we have. Probably better to start another thread.

[post edited by moderator]
Harassment of moderators
Please do not harass the moderator team or bring their moderator status into discussions where it is not relevant. They volunteer their free time to help keep your community in good order and are allowed to have and post their own opinions, just like you!

Just seen this. What the hell was all this about?

Top Bottom