I cracked my wheel rim. with picture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Tyre pressure of around 35.

After finding a picture of my wheels they are selscof evolutions which it would indeed seem are tubeless!!! Which I was not aware of and not sure how I feel about them being bought for me. I never really thought that tubeless tires had to be used on different rims.

So I'm guessing this is what was at fault and caused the crack??

Jody

Stubborn git
Tyre pressure of around 35.

After finding a picture of my wheels they are selscof evolutions which it would indeed seem are tubeless!!! Which I was not aware of and not sure how I feel about them being bought for me. I never really thought that tubeless tires had to be used on different rims.

So I'm guessing this is what was at fault and caused the crack??

No. Tubeless just mean they have the ability to be converted and are still fine to run with tubes. They won't have failed because of being tubeless ready. Tubeless tyres just mean they are less porous so don't let air seep through the side wall.

Jody

Stubborn git
35 is a reasonable pressure to be running at your weight so there is no issue there.

Get them back to the shop and replace or refunded.

I am like you as to tubeless tyres , but as you can fit tubeless tyres on road bikes that had tubes without too much hassle I would have thought it would be okay.
As to that split it seems as though either the material is not up to it or it has missed out on a process during manufacture.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Ah okay out of my depth a bit here so thanks for clearing that up for me. Glad it wasn't a mistake on his case. Well I wonder what on earth caused this then.

Jody

Stubborn git
My only suggestion was wether the tyres had run low on pressure and the rim had took a knock. Doubtful if you're running 35PSI at your weight.

Either bad manufacturing or just bad luck.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
The front one will definitely be coming off aswell, not worth risking it. I will clean them up and get better pics tonight to send to wherever they were purchased from ( I cannot remember but friend will know) Thanks for all the advice everyone, most helpful :smile:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I've never noticed a drop in tyre pressure, I check daily by hand and at least weekly on the pump guage.
If you were using tubes, the crack would not affect the tyre pressure (other than when it punctured it, of course!). The crack would only cause leaks if you were using tubeless tyres.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you honestly telling me you clean the inside of your rims monthly? I thought you just bought a new bike.

In all my years of riding, including many years of MTB, I have never cleaned the inside of a rim, unless i was fitting new rim tape.
No because I don't ride in the wet, let alone mud. But my bikes are kept v clean, so if I did I probably would. But I don't so...

However, if grubby, I do baby wipe the rims when changing tyres or fixing a puncture at home

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Just a thought, but do you have rim brakes and are the rims intended for discs?

Jody

Stubborn git
Looking at the pic again. Has the rim got a ding in it where the arrow is pointing? Looks like it has but might just be the angle it was taken at.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 84
Top Bottom