I cracked my wheel rim. with picture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Just a thought, but do you have rim brakes and are the rims intended for discs?
Can't see how that would cause the crack though. Premature failure of the rim wall maybe, but cracking down the centre of the well?

I agree with Tim Hall I would want a wheel to take more punishment than that. I have seen wheels "D" shaped without signs of cracks. There doesn't appear to be damage to the paint and for that size of split I would want to see a huge buckle.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Can't see how that would cause the crack though. Premature failure of the rim wall maybe, but cracking down the centre of the well?
Just wondering about general fragility, but the OP says she's on discs anyway, so I'll shut up now. ;)

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Here we go, quickly cleaned with some water. So there is a little rust, I wonder if the crack has been there a little while? Its huge!! Then silver nicks on the rim are most likely where I have used tire levers, apart from those no obvious bumps/knocks. Very strange.
IMAG4858.jpg

marihino

I don't have pics as that wheel was chucked away, but I did have similar cracks all over the rear wheel in my B'Twin. It is a two years old bike. There was a bit of rust as well. I've noticed it when I actually felt the wheel being kind of soft and wobbly. Both wheels have been replaced (the front one even prior to that actually, as the original one was stolen) and there is no more problems so far.

Venod

Eh up
So there is a little rust

There was a bit of rust as well

The rims will be aluminium so it won't be rust, aluminium corrodes so you may think it looks like rust, if the rims are steel it could be rust but its a long time since I have seen a steel wheel and wouldn't expect Selcoff or B'Twin to be fitting them.

An impact causing deformation. A notch in the valve hole. Brittle rim material. I imagine that all of these factors conspired to cause your rim failure.

Top Bottom