I cracked my wheel rim. with picture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
I will have a look later. These were not that cheap either, I think around £100 or on sale from that amount. Bought on advice of a friend who knows his stuff.

The bike is 7 months old, these are just under a year but had a month off between being swapped onto new bike so probably 10 months use.

Tim Hall

Wow. I've never seen mud in there before. Mind you, I ride road tyres, which run at a higher pressure, which should keep the muck out. Was there a rim tape (plastic or cloth tape to cover the spoke holes) or is the wheel pretty much as removed from the bike?

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
I think perhaps the crack was growing over a fews days before puncturing my tube. I cycle off road on my commute, its been very wet ground the last couple of days and I'm not one for avoiding puddles! This is just as it came off, I did think it odd there was no tape but I don't know enough to know if that matters or not.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
I will wash and get a new pic tonight though, because to be honest there could be some corrosion under all this mud I guess. But its really not as bad as it looks.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Wow!!!!! That must have happened over a period of time. The valve hole is a weak area though.

It doesn't look particularly a good quality wheel..... so is it a stock wheel?

Venod

Eh up
Is it a tubeless rim ? I can't see any spoke holes, read this on Bike Radar Forum

The mavic 819 ust are prone to cracks. I had to put a tube in mine a month ago and today when i went to use my bike the tyre was flat? when i checked it out the was a 4 inch crack going across the hole where the valve goes in. This was ripping the tube.
Mavic-819-Crack.JPG

Last edited:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I might have missed it, but are they branded? Is there a name on them? I'm sure I weigh a lot more than most and in the past ran rims way past the time they should have been got rid of due to rim brake wear. I have never suffered damage like that.

Oh, and I haven't ever, ever cleaned inside the rim. I hardly ever clean the outside either. Just occasionally on the rare occasions the bikes get a wash. The mountain bikes slightly more often but not much. I don't think that damage is caused by lack of maintainence.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Thanks everyone helpful input. They are branded I can't remember what make, I have a pic of my bike somewhere will see what make they are.

I dont know if they are tubeless rims, they were bought for me by someone who knows a fair bit about bikes, I doubt he would of bought a tubeless wheel as he knows I use tubes.

I only weigh 8.5st and although I ride it every day a lot is on the road. Saying that I do a fair bit of off road too but nothing extreme.

As I read a bit more about this sort of occurance I realise how lucky I was that it was only a flat tire not a complete failure. Scary stuff.

Jody

Stubborn git
At 8.5 stone the wheels should take quite a lot of hammer. Get them back to the shop if they are less than a year old. £100 is only a budget wheelset but they shouldn't be cracking like yours have.

Out of interest what pressure do you run your tyres?

Top Bottom