I cracked my wheel rim. with picture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
I will have a look later. These were not that cheap either, I think around £100 or on sale from that amount. Bought on advice of a friend who knows his stuff.

The bike is 7 months old, these are just under a year but had a month off between being swapped onto new bike so probably 10 months use.

Tim Hall

Wow. I've never seen mud in there before. Mind you, I ride road tyres, which run at a higher pressure, which should keep the muck out. Was there a rim tape (plastic or cloth tape to cover the spoke holes) or is the wheel pretty much as removed from the bike?

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
I think perhaps the crack was growing over a fews days before puncturing my tube. I cycle off road on my commute, its been very wet ground the last couple of days and I'm not one for avoiding puddles! This is just as it came off, I did think it odd there was no tape but I don't know enough to know if that matters or not.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
I will wash and get a new pic tonight though, because to be honest there could be some corrosion under all this mud I guess. But its really not as bad as it looks.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Wow!!!!! That must have happened over a period of time. The valve hole is a weak area though.

It doesn't look particularly a good quality wheel..... so is it a stock wheel?

Venod

Eh up
Is it a tubeless rim ? I can't see any spoke holes, read this on Bike Radar Forum

The mavic 819 ust are prone to cracks. I had to put a tube in mine a month ago and today when i went to use my bike the tyre was flat? when i checked it out the was a 4 inch crack going across the hole where the valve goes in. This was ripping the tube.
Mavic-819-Crack.JPG

Last edited:
It looks like a fatigue split to me. Those rims were unable to cope with your style of riding or the ground you were cycling over. Mind you modern day roads aren't exactly smooth.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I might have missed it, but are they branded? Is there a name on them? I'm sure I weigh a lot more than most and in the past ran rims way past the time they should have been got rid of due to rim brake wear. I have never suffered damage like that.

Oh, and I haven't ever, ever cleaned inside the rim. I hardly ever clean the outside either. Just occasionally on the rare occasions the bikes get a wash. The mountain bikes slightly more often but not much. I don't think that damage is caused by lack of maintainence.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Thanks everyone helpful input. They are branded I can't remember what make, I have a pic of my bike somewhere will see what make they are.

I dont know if they are tubeless rims, they were bought for me by someone who knows a fair bit about bikes, I doubt he would of bought a tubeless wheel as he knows I use tubes.

I only weigh 8.5st and although I ride it every day a lot is on the road. Saying that I do a fair bit of off road too but nothing extreme.

As I read a bit more about this sort of occurance I realise how lucky I was that it was only a flat tire not a complete failure. Scary stuff.

Jody

Stubborn git
At 8.5 stone the wheels should take quite a lot of hammer. Get them back to the shop if they are less than a year old. £100 is only a budget wheelset but they shouldn't be cracking like yours have.

Out of interest what pressure do you run your tyres?

Top Bottom