I cycled the furthest I've ever cycled today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
102 miles (on my own), I'm pretty chuffed:biggrin:

I did a 34ish mile loop out from my house three times, stopping there to refill bottles and grab a snack each time I passed.
I must say it was the most I've ever suffered on my bike:evil:
I was fine and really enjoying it up until about the 80 mile mark when my legs started to ache and the wind picked up slightly. Up Ditchling Beacon (the best climb I know of around here) for the third time was painful, and from there down into Brighton and home I was absolutely freezing (shivering like mad!) as I only had a short sleeve jersey on:sad: At about 4 miles out I suddenly felt completely drained and couldn't get above about 12mph...that was the hardest bit. I was almost too weak to turn the key in the front door:blush:
After some food and a shower I feel fine again and quite proud of myself:tongue:
Next time I will try to eat a bit better/more as I'm sure that contributed to my poor last few miles. And I definitely need to invest in a decent windproof that will fit in my jersey pocket!

Mr Phoebus

Well done! Because you were doing loops close to your house, it would have
been all too easy to bail out, rather than you venturing over fifty miles away and having to come all the way back.
But you stuck at it, fair play to you.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Thanks all:tongue: When I decide to do something (cycling wise at least, not so much in the rest of life!) it does get done.
I've also just realised *touch wood* that I might have FINALLY got my bike dialled in, as I've had no knee pain since my ride. This is the best news ever.

Melvil

Nice going there - you've done the ton which some say is the dividing line between the 'recreational' and the 'serious' cyclist. I'm not so sure about that but I am sure it's a long way! Also good is the fact that you will have burnt off thousands of calories and (to a fairly large extent) you can scoff yourself silly tonight, guilt-free!

got-to-get-fit

Top Man......That deserves a beer or 12

col

Legendary Member
Impressive stuff,i wonder if the last few miles where you struggled ,was the bonk.I would have bonked long before.Well done:smile:

Pete

That looks pretty good work, Joe. Are you telling us you did the Beacon three times in one ride ;):ohmy::ohmy:? Someone quick, stamp a medal for this guy! OK I've seen one person (who shall be nameless) do it twice during one of our Friday Night L2B's (ACF days) to put some of us to shame, but three times!?

Where are you based and what was your route (roughly)? I live a few miles from the Beacon myself...

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Pete said:
That looks pretty good work, Joe. Are you telling us you did the Beacon three times in one ride ;):ohmy::ohmy:? Someone quick, stamp a medal for this guy! OK I've seen one person (who shall be nameless) do it twice during one of our Friday Night L2B's (ACF days) to put some of us to shame, but three times!?

Where are you based and what was your route (roughly)? I live a few miles from the Beacon myself...
Haha, thanks:tongue:
I'm not particularly fast up hills but I won't be beaten by one (that I've come across so far anyway!).
I really suffered getting up there the third time, and I do have a triple;)
I live down in the Portslade end of Hove. My route was very similar to this:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/leisure-training-ride-around-vicinity-of-Brighton-Hove
I took a slightly different route through Shoreham and Hassocks but it's essentially the same

Good lad! My first century ended with me arriving at my parents house to find them out. I rang my then girlfriend and promptly burst into tears because I was so tired and pleased that it was over!
When's the next one then? ;)

Top Bottom