I did it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barbelier

Completed my JOGLE on Sunday and got home yesterday:

The facts:
1,118 miles
16 days cycling
Daily average - 70 miles
Longest day - 90 miles
Biggest daily ascent total - 6,300 ft
Solo, unsupported, staying in B&Bs
One overweight 53 yr old who until this year hadn't cycled for 20+ yrs
Weight loss since start of training 21lbs
Bike: Revolution Country Explorer, 44-32-22 shimano deore chainset, Marathan Plus tyres & Schwalbe inners

Best bits:
- finishing
- the amazing scenery
- the people I met along the way and friendly, helpful B&B owners
- the bike (not a single puncture, mechanical problem or even a rattle or squeak. Didn't even have to put any air in the tryes!)
- sitting in the sunshine eating a clotted cream ice cream overlooking St Michael's Mount, with only 15 miles to go
- the look at the face of the woman in Penzance who asked where I had cycled from when I said John O Groats (priceless)

Worst bits:
- the hills
- my naive plan to go via the quiet scenic route, i.e. the long, hilly route
- gales & rain in Scotland & the north
- the train service

Not the fastest LEJOG/JOGLE, a lot harder than I expected, but feeling pretty proud of myself.

snorri

Legendary Member
Well done young man.:cheers:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A very good effort!

If I ever was to tackle a LEJOG/JOGLE I'd do the same as you and take a scenic route. In fact, I might be even more extreme and deliberately extend it to take in other 'unnecessary' parts of the country such as Wales and some Scottish islands. 70-90 miles a day is more tempting to me than a 100+ miles-a-day dash though I can understand why some people enjoy the challenge of doing the trip as fast as they can.

jarushby

Well done Gavin, fantastic achievement!!!!!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well done - I imagine your sense of achievement is flying high at the moment. (Have you started thinking about the next adventure?)

yello

Chapeau sir. There's nothing like the sense of achievement that one gets from something like this. From that point when you KNOW you've cracked it, there's a big silly smile on the face and a chest-sized feeling of pride pushing at the rubs!

Have a beer and well earned bath!

OP
OP
Barbelier

Barbelier

Thanks guys!

(Have you started thinking about the next adventure?)
Not sure about another big challenge - I need to get over this one first!

But I definitely want to take my 9 year old son cycling much more and have already promised him a week long cycling holiday next year.

Top Bottom