I dislike Murray, hate is such a strong word...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtwin

montage said:
He also hits the ball like less of a pansy than he did 3 years ago.... I guess he has been hitting the gym?

His second serve averages about 78mph. Which makes him average in the womens game. In the mens, he gets slapped around the court like a nonce.

You can pump up in the gym as much as you like, but you're still not a natural strong athlete.

U

User482

Bigtwin said:
His second serve averages about 78mph. Which makes him average in the womens game. In the mens, he gets slapped around the court like a nonce.

You can pump up in the gym as much as you like, but you're still not a natural strong athlete.

His first serve has become a real weapon though, so I'd suggest that technique or tactics are the issue rather than strength. In anycase, he never really looked like getting broken yesterday, so he must be doing something right.

Bigtwin

User482 said:
His first serve has become a real weapon though, so I'd suggest that technique or tactics are the issue rather than strength. In anycase, he never really looked like getting broken yesterday, so he must be doing something right.

1st serve is when it works properly.

What he did right yesterday was play someone who hasn't got a prayer of being in the running for a title. Give it time.

U

User482

Bigtwin said:
1st serve is when it works properly.

What he did right yesterday was play someone who hasn't got a prayer of being in the running for a title. Give it time.

True, but Kendrick played very well - ideal practice IMO. Murray's tactic seems to be to use a kick second serve, which is why it's so slow. I think it's a mistake that will be exposed when he's up against better players. It's less of an issue if his first serve percentage stays high.

Bigtwin

User482 said:
True, but Kendrick played very well - ideal practice IMO. Murray's tactic seems to be to use a kick second serve, which is why it's so slow. I think it's a mistake that will be exposed when he's up against better players. It's less of an issue if his first serve percentage stays high.

Well, let's hope so, as he's all we have left. But as Stich observed during yesterday's game, if he serves like that in the later rounds, he'll be facing rockets.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Bigtwin said:
Well, let's hope so, as he's all we have left. But as Stich observed during yesterday's game, if he serves like that in the later rounds, he'll be facing rockets.

I am presuming his training team and he is aware of this and it was a tactical decision to save energy or something.....

But you know what they say about presumptions!

Bigtwin

Wigsie said:
I am presuming his training team and he is aware of this and it was a tactical decision to save energy or something.....

But you know what they say about presumptions!

Well he's never had much of a second serve, even on a good day, but I suppose at least most of the time he get's them in, which is a start. That muppet yesterday seemed determined to hit the cover of the ball the whole time - his percentage of forehand drives going in was in single figures I'm sure. Mebbe Murray played for this, but I'm not convinced. Even where there was half a court open for a decent second ace, he didn't produce one. 75-80 mph is pretty sedate, even for a club player - you'd fancy having a bloody good hit at that!

mangaman

Bigtwin said:
Well he's never had much of a second serve, even on a good day, but I suppose at least most of the time he get's them in, which is a start. That muppet yesterday seemed determined to hit the cover of the ball the whole time - his percentage of forehand drives going in was in single figures I'm sure. Mebbe Murray played for this, but I'm not convinced. Even where there was half a court open for a decent second ace, he didn't produce one. 75-80 mph is pretty sedate, even for a club player - you'd fancy having a bloody good hit at that!

The speed of his 2nd serve is irrelevant compared to how many points he won with it

Kendrick played well - certainly better than Federer / Roddick / Djokovic's 1st round opponents I reckon

Here are the stats from the 1st round matches

Murray - ave 2nd serve 84mph - won 57% points on 2nd serve
Fed - ave speed 97 mph - won 45% points on 2nd serve
Djokovic - ave speed 88mph - won 50% points on 2nd serve

So Murray's tactic of slowing / spinning his 2nd serve made him the most effective of the top 3

Fastest server ever - Roddick - ave 2nd serve 102mph won 51%

Murray probably had the toughest oponent of the 4 and his 2nd serve was more effective

That's why Murray is a great player - he appears a bit languid sometimes. It appears his 2nd serve is very slow sometimes. But he has a plan

You may fancy having a hit at Murray's second serve but I think you'll find he's one step ahead of you!

Top Bottom