I dislike Murray, hate is such a strong word...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Henman is a personality vacuum. Murray is infinitely more interesting.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
User482 said:
Henman is a personality vacuum. Murray is infinitely more interesting.

;):laugh: yes!

You wouldn't get 16 pages of posts in a few days about Henman!

atbman

Veteran
marinyork said:
The other thing I don't particularly like about him is how he used to mumble in an arrogant manner to the whoever was interviewing him. It was just rude.

And your evidence that the mumbling was because of arrogance? Rather than finding being interviewed was difficult?

Presumably, now he doesn't mumble, he's ceased being arrogant?

And, as Tim Henman has said, in print, on radio and on tv, the anti-english (so-called) bit was a joke.

And as for hating someone you don't even know, who has done you no harm, well - that's truly idiotic - and I say that I the nicest possible way, you understand

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I like Murray exactly because of the kind of idiots who claim to hate him, and I like him even more because that annoys them.

And yes, he is a welcome breath of foul and fetid air in an age of PR spin, perfect teeth and uncontroversial, bland personality-free 'stars'...

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Flying_Monkey said:
I like Murray exactly because of the kind of idiots who claim to hate him, and I like him even more because that annoys them.

And yes, he is a welcome breath of foul and fetid air in an age of PR spin, perfect teeth and uncontroversial, bland personality-free 'stars'...

+1

montage

God Almighty
I was watching Murray last night and did actually want him to win. Before he gave off "I'm going to be the best tennis player ever so PR can go **** itself" ..... now its "I'm one of the top tennis players so PR can go **** itself" .... which makes more sense.

He also hits the ball like less of a pansy than he did 3 years ago.... I guess he has been hitting the gym?

U

User482

Flying_Monkey said:

I used to be ambivalent, but having seen how much he annoys certain people, and his refusal to play the PR game, I've really warmed to him of late.

Anyway, the guy's a born competitor. It always amazes me that people expect born competitors to be perfectly adjusted and normal. If he was normal, he wouldn't be the third best tennis player in the world.

yello

User482 said:
It always amazes me that people expect born competitors to be perfectly adjusted and normal.

True. But then that's a different thing to actually liking them!

I used to like McEnroe at the height of his foul mouthed fury, and would defend him along similar lines; that is, he's competitive, how can you not anticipate that a competitive person might boil over? It's a sign of their competitiveness forcrisake!!

SOME players manage Mr Niceguy alongside being competitive (Federer in the tennis world for instance) but I certainly don't expect it. Equally, neither do I necessarily like someone because they can be obnoxious. McEnroe had a sublime talent, that's why I liked him.

mangaman

Flying_Monkey said:

100% agree

Murray is a breath of fresh air. Doesn't seem bothered about how he looks, bit of personality. Great player. Even kisses his Mum after winning Queens

I can't understand the cult of Federer. To me he's a great player but a personality-free zone, completely under the control of his sponsor. Here he is in his Wimbledon garb. I'm surprised he hasn't got a monocle and a top hat.

For the US open he wears a back to front baseball cap and American yoof clothes for his interviews

I don't know why he doesn't cycle onto the centre court at the French with a stripey shirt and a string of onions round his neck.

Back to Murray, if you'd stuck a microphone under my face virtually every day since I was 18 you'd find I would have said some things which were objectionable, and I'm a lovely chap :smile:

Bodhbh

Guru
I see in the paper today he's been causing a commotion drinking out of a Highland Spring bottle when Evans are the offical sponsors. Ha!

Top Bottom