I Do Enjoy a Nice Number One in the Morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Location
Yorkshire
I can’t believe that Hard habit to break by Chicago only got to position 8 in 1984, epic song!

Showing my age now but Chicago's best for me was 25 or 6 to 4, no idea where it got to in the charts.
 

Alex321

Guru
Location
South Wales
All personal taste of course, but for my taste there are 20 better songs in the top 50 for the week that reached number 24.
https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19771030/7501/

I've never really been all that keen on Bowie. A few of his songs I quite like, but nothig more than that.

Interesting! I'm no Bowie super-fan, but he's one of the greats, and I do like Heroes.
That is a haaaaard week to get to No1 though! There are some belters in there - and I don't just mean the Star Wars Theme and Silver Lady!
 

SpokeyDokey

69, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Moderator

Alex321

Guru
Location
South Wales
Interesting! I'm no Bowie super-fan, but he's one of the greats, and I do like Heroes.
That is a haaaaard week to get to No1 though! There are some belters in there - and I don't just mean the Star Wars Theme and Silver Lady!

There are, and that isn't one of my favourites of his. The ones I do like of his were mostly between about 1969 and 1975.
 
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
Bowie was originally the second coming but by the mid seventies was just going through the motions. Other than a brief resurgence around the Ashes to Ashes period he artistically lost the plot around 1975, IMHO, of course.
 

SpokeyDokey

69, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Moderator
Bowie was originally the second coming but by the mid seventies was just going through the motions. Other than a brief resurgence around the Ashes to Ashes period he artistically lost the plot around 1975, IMHO, of course.

Whatever he was I always found Bowie achingly cool - especially in later years when he had shed cos-play for suits.

Undeniably, imo, he and Bolan managed to shift Pop in a brave new direction. At last, the cheesy saccharine lyrics of 60's Pop were left behind.
 
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
With respect, M'Lud, the Beatles moved lyrics on from the sloppy boy-girl nonsense possibly from Rubber Soul in early 1966, and inarguably from Revolver later that year.
 

SpokeyDokey

69, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Moderator
With respect, M'Lud, the Beatles moved lyrics on from the sloppy boy-girl nonsense possibly from Rubber Soul in early 1966, and inarguably from Revolver later that year.

I think that lyrically, Revolver* was in a different direction to mainstream Pop of the time but not musically.

*Apart from Yellow Submarine.
 

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Location
Hexleybeef
Mr Brightside by the Killers seems to be quoted on line as the biggest song that never made No 1. Apparently it’s the third biggest UK song ever.
I agree that it is a massive hit, but modern streaming makes a mockery of relative popularity nowadays.
As only songs released recently will have the big streaming numbers.
 

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Location
Hexleybeef
The Kinks had a few No 1s.
But Lola, Waterloo Sunset and Days all failed to make No 1.
You can go through every great bands back catalog and find anomalies.
Pop music has always been lowest common denominator stuff for teenagers. Most adult fans bought albums and didn’t bother with singles. So the really good stuff never gets a sniff at the charts.
 
Top Bottom