I do. I reckon you should. Do you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to donate platelets but had to stop when I went on Safari a couple of times. I should have started back and I have no valid excuses, except that I am pretty busy at home (with two kids) and at work.

However, I have been wanting to get back into. The blood transfusion service visits my work every once in a while, but they never advertise it far enough in advance for me to arrange my work around it. But I am determined to make it the next time they visit.

Plax

Guru
I donate blood, am on the bone marrow donor list and have a donor card. Last time I went to give blood they said no as my iron count was too low. Shame really, as it was only just under - apparently there cut off point is 12.6, and mine was 12.3.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Been giving for years, musta done 35+ by now. Screws up my cycling tho'*. Last donation was in the off-season.

Due to give soon, also due to start interval training (two weeks is the plan).

* for about 2-3 weeks after based on club 10 times.

QuickDraw

My blood's not good enough for them. I went to Brazil a while back and that's me for 25 years apparently. If I lived in England they'd give me a test to check for Chagas disease, up here they offered me the test but said I'd have to pay for it myself and they wanted £90. I told them what I thought of charging people to give away their own blood. It p!sses me off every Christmas when they spend a fortune on their advertising campaigns about how their short of blood. If they dome more to ensure people are able to donate they wouldn't need a huge advertising budget.

Mr Celine

Discordian
They don't want mine either, because of prescribed medication (which does f*** all anyway).
Mrs C has been trying to donate for years, but can only do so in her lunch break. They always take a 2 hour break themselves.
It amazes me they manage to get any at all.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I have given 29 pints now however they really p me off. If you don't make a booking for a session they start pestering you on the phone and then even if you have made a booking for a set time you can still be waiting over an hour before they plug you in. If this is the case why bother about introducing a stupid booking system :smile::angry::smile::eek:!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Not allowed to :smile: I spent three months in sleeping in a tent in the Amazon rain forest, they are worried that I might have picked up Chagas Disease (Trypanosoma cruzi), they don't want to test for it.

Sabreur

Having given my 24th some years ago I was diagnosed with heart and kidney dysfunction and the medication means my donating days were, sadly, over

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Had a tattoo after my 1st was born. Did the same for the second.

Third is due in about 6-7 weeks.....

You have to have a 12 month gap afterwards. I reckon I best get in, in the next few weeks

wafflycat

User said:
As a gay man I am barred from giving blood. Yet I am on bone marrow and organ donor registers.

Quite frankly, the Transfusion Service needs to update its thinking.

Yup. I used to give blood regularly, but as I was given blood back in 1988, I am considered too high a risk... CJD apparently. Now I know they have to be careful, but considering I'm fit & healthy & show no signs of being a mad cow (although some may disagee :smile:), I think they can be too cautious.

dudi

As it happen, I gave blood last night.

Took ages. luckilly i left work an hour early. Got there at about 5.30pm & they weren't very busy, maybe 8 people waiting. it was about an hour and 20 minutes before I actually got to sit on the bench and have a needle jabbed into my arm.

Me, being the punctual once, duely donated my pint in the time of 8 minutes and 10 seconds.

I can't understand why there is such a delay with these people?! if i let my day get that far behind at work, I'd be in for a right ear chewing from my boss...

I think i'm going to find another donation session... or maybe try my lunch break, as it's beginning to be a bit of a pain to do it.

Top Bottom