I do. I reckon you should. Do you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
dudi said:
Me, being the punctual once, duely donated my pint in the time of 8 minutes and 10 seconds.

Ha that's why I was told to go away and not darken their doorway.... I used to take over 3/4 hr to give less than the full amount (using my writing arm to try and improve the flow) ... plus it then made me feel woozy (all in the mind).

ChrisKH

Guru
User said:
As a gay man I am barred from giving blood. Yet I am on bone marrow and organ donor registers.

Quite frankly, the Transfusion Service needs to update its thinking.

Agreed. I would have your blood tomorrow if I needed it.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
dudi said:
As it happen, I gave blood last night.

Took ages. luckilly i left work an hour early. Got there at about 5.30pm & they weren't very busy, maybe 8 people waiting. it was about an hour and 20 minutes before I actually got to sit on the bench and have a needle jabbed into my arm.

Me, being the punctual once, duely donated my pint in the time of 8 minutes and 10 seconds.

I can't understand why there is such a delay with these people?! if i let my day get that far behind at work, I'd be in for a right ear chewing from my boss...

I think i'm going to find another donation session... or maybe try my lunch break, as it's beginning to be a bit of a pain to do it.

Hi Dudi. I am trying a session at Needham Market next time (close to work) as I am fed up with the waiting around at my normal session.

Maz

Guru
semiax said:
I don't give blood cos i'm lazy.
That's fair enough. All I request is that you are grateful to those who aren't too lazy, should you or a loved one need a blood transfusion.

troll...

Tetedelacourse

I give regularly because I am not a gay Amazonian kidney patient who has received a transfusion whilst getting his ears pierced and tattooed.

And because they come to my work. Think I'm on around 15 but how do you all know exactly? Do you keep Club wrappers?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I gave blood twice. Passed out each time :smile: and took some time to come round. I then got a letter asking me not to go any more - I assume I was just too much hassle. I carry an organ donor card, and I'd like to see an opt out scheme for presumed consent of donation. If I can help someone out after I don't need my bits anymore, I'd be happy to do so.:biggrin:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
dudi said:
Took ages. ....... it was about an hour and 20 minutes before I actually got to sit on the bench and have a needle jabbed into my arm.

I can't understand why there is such a delay with these people?! ...... it's beginning to be a bit of a pain to do it.

I've only just started getting back into it. I used to give, 20 years ago but it bacame a major 'time out' for what is a quick process.

Figured it would have changed after 20 years :smile:

Thats why I've got reminders on the shelf?? :biggrin:

To be honest, I can't see myself going back. I'd like to, but I've got a choice between 2 hours in a 'function room' at the local WMC or 2 hours with my kids. Selfish? Maybe.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Tetedelacourse;185819 but how do you all know exactly? [/quote said:
The number donated is on the form they send you to fill in and take with you to the appointment.

Maz

Guru
Tetedelacourse said:
I give regularly because I am not a gay Amazonian kidney patient who has received a transfusion whilst getting his ears pierced and tattooed...
Maybe they could combine the ear-piercing with collecting blood at the same time - kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

dudi

ohhh...
it's a hard commute the day after giving blood!

15 miles of noticably less oxygen to the muscles...

mind you, makes my heart stronger!

Arch

Married to Night Train
TheDoctor said:
I gave blood twice. Passed out each time :smile: and took some time to come round. I then got a letter asking me not to go any more - I assume I was just too much hassle. I carry an organ donor card, and I'd like to see an opt out scheme for presumed consent of donation. If I can help someone out after I don't need my bits anymore, I'd be happy to do so.:wacko:

My thoughts on organ donation too. I've been to give 3 times I think, they only got blood out of me twice, and the last time it was running up against the time limit. Apparently, I have small veins or something. I'm afraid I've been a bit lax about going since. Always felt fine though, and never any after effects - but then I don't have a strenuous commute or anything.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I got my bronze badge last time I went but one. I think that means ten donations?

Then last time, my iron count was one point too low, so they very apologetically sent me away.

I've missed lots though, because I've been to Africa, or North America during the west nile virus season, or somewhere else dodgy too recently. They really are quite fussy - er, careful.

There seems to be a pattern emerging. Several have mentioned that their blood's not wanted because they've been somewhere "dodgy". Could it be that, as cyclists, we're a bit more adventurous than average? And aware of our own mortality and how others' generosity might save our lives one day? And that we're used to a little pain and inconvenience, so, in general, don't mind giving blood?

How ironic, then, that so many of us aren't wanted as donors.

Maz

Guru
longers said:
Very good question. Ask them on Monday?
Well, I went to give blood at lunchtime and asked about The Anthony Nolan Trust. They said it was a separate blood bank/database to the NHS one, but that the 2 organisations do 'talk to each other'. Guess it can't hurt to be on both lists, as it were.

Must take it easy on the way back, even with my super-duper new 23mm tyres.

Top Bottom