I done it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Good work Chris!

Blue

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:
Perhaps you need to be looking at some up-to-date research on the underlying causes of obesity.

I don't think so.

The simple calorie equation is the basis of the vast majority of all cases of obesity - always has been and always will be.

Blue;36034][quote name= said:
Perhaps you need to be looking at some up-to-date research on the underlying causes of obesity.

I don't think so.

The simple calorie equation is the basis of the vast majority of all cases of obesity - always has been and always will be.[/QUOTE]

Yes, if you want to break the argument down into its Cartesian minimalist components.

If you want to make a contribution to the debate, perhaps you could look at some of the reasons why people end up on the wrong side of the calorie equation. Comfort eating, addiction, crap food, no cooking skills, no knowledge of what constitutes good food, food industry loading processed food with fat, sugar and salt, supermarkets strangling local production, advertising, public health policy that is ten years behind trends, vast lobbying industries geared to making sure that producer interests are protected, town planning that prioritises cars over walking and cycling, lack of access to sports facilities or recreation, capitalist production systems that value profit above human well-being.

Just a few suggestions for you.

gbyers

Twenty Inch;37434][quote name= said:
wafflycat'' said:

I don't think so.

The simple calorie equation is the basis of the vast majority of all cases of obesity - always has been and always will be.

Yes, if you want to break the argument down into its Cartesian minimalist components.

If you want to make a contribution to the debate, perhaps you could look at some of the reasons why people end up on the wrong side of the calorie equation. Comfort eating, addiction, crap food, no cooking skills, no knowledge of what constitutes good food, food industry loading processed food with fat, sugar and salt, supermarkets strangling local production, advertising, public health policy that is ten years behind trends, vast lobbying industries geared to making sure that producer interests are protected, town planning that prioritises cars over walking and cycling, lack of access to sports facilities or recreation, capitalist production systems that value profit above human well-being.

Just a few suggestions for you.[/QUOTE]

The few suggestions are good ones Twenty Inch.

But even allowing for these contributing factors, Blue, your simplistic energy formula theory is itself increasingly viewed as being too simplistic.

http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/po/news/2006-07/apr/13.shtml

This makes the acheivements of thoese who exercise more, modify their diet and lose weight, even more laudable.

So yes, well done waffleycat.

Blue

Legendary Member
Twenty Inch;37434][quote name= said:
wafflycat'' said:

I don't think so.

If you want to make a contribution to the debate, perhaps you could .[/QUOTE]

keep your arrogance to yourself, thanks

OP
OP
chris42

chris42

come on people lets not fall out!

I posted this thread to see if it could inspire people who wanted to loose weight.
I had massive trouble loosing it without intervention from a Dr. due to years of heavy heavy training as a competitive swimmer and semi pro Ice hockey player.
the Dr. says this coupled with 3/4 years (during my mid 20's) of much reduced activity and eating the same level of calories I was when I was training has had a negative effect on my metabolism.
So normal increase excercise and decrease food had very little effect.

There are poeple who have real trouble loosing weight so unless you are one of these you have no way of knowing how frustrating it is when the weight will just not shift or how bloody annoying it is when people just say "all you have to do is excercise more and eat less"

Tolerance and understanding.?

Blue;37739][quote name= said:
Blue;36034 said:
wafflycat'' said:

I don't think so.

If you want to make a contribution to the debate, perhaps you could .

keep your arrogance to yourself, thanks[/QUOTE]

When you keep your ignorance to yourself.

Blue

Legendary Member
OK Twenty Inch, I apologise if I caused you offence - that was not my intention, I assure you. Please accept my apology.

I think my intentions are not understood. I, like anyone, applaud anyone who alters their lifestyle and gets fitter.

My original post took issue with the assertion that 'many' obese people can look to reasons beyond themselves for their condition. I have already acknowledged that 'some' people have a genuine problem. However, I have walked this planet for nearly 60 years and have rarely met an obese person who was simply anything other than more fond of food and drink than exercise. We live in a society that seems to me to be increasingly based on self indulgence and the blaming of others for our woes that the acceptance of personal responsibility and the leading of a healthy lifestyle.

I do talk from experience. In the 1980s I went from a 16st 2lb (Hgt 5' 7") lardarse to a 10st 2hr 38min marathon runner after taking a long hard look at myself and deciding to stop the rot. I now cycle between 150 and 200 miles at an average of 16-18mph every week, but still have to keep an eye on my diet or the weight can pile on - but I know who is to blame when I slip up and let that happen.

My intelligence is offended by any suggestion that many of the obese are not responsible for their own condition.

wafflycat

"My intelligence is offended by any suggestion that many of the obese are not responsible for their own condition."

As I said - perhaps you ought to acquaint yourself with up-to-date research on obesity issues.

Blue

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:
"My intelligence is offended by any suggestion that many of the obese are not responsible for their own condition."

As I said - perhaps you ought to acquaint yourself with up-to-date research on obesity issues.

I have already replied to that.

However, I think it has to be said that a lot of so called research has to be read carefully. Much of it is about someone who has an idea and seeks proof of their own theory, ignoring everything else, rather than being independent. Much of it is written to serve a purpose, which can often be as simplistic as who pays the writer etc. (are we not at war for such reasons!!)

I mean look at some of the arguements that were raised against me in this thread:-

Comfort eating - what about distracting oneself with exercise, even as simple as housework

Addiction - self inflicted, seek help to cure it rather than indulging it

Crap food - alternatives are as easily available - in the same supermarkets

No cooking skills - I don't have any either, but fruit, veg, brown bread etc keep me ok and require few skills.

No knowledge of good food etc - well, you all beem to think that I am not too well read so how come I'm able to get by. The info is everywhere, or have none of you noticed how hard the government etc are working to change our habits.

Town planning and the social system - I ask you, what next - the planet is located in the fat sector of the universe

Lack of access - whats wrong with the footpath outside your door. I have participated in endurance sports for more than 20 years and have never used anything other than the public pavement and road.

The simple truth is that as I travel about I see hundreds of obese people over indulging for every obese person I see making an effort by even so much as powerwalking on the pavement. You can try to quote papers if you wish, but remember the saying that 'a picture paints a thousand words' and I see the picture that is Britain every minute of every day.

Top Bottom