I don't know whether I like Strava or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
I use Ride With GPS as my main log as it's free from all the kudos, PB's etc. I do have a Strava account and did become a slave to PRs, KOMs, how much kudos etc. when I first registered but don't take much notice now. I upload rides through Garmin Connect which automatically update Strava and RWGPS. I have considered closing my Strava account but it's what I use when I share rides on forums and facebook etc. as that's what most other people use and I do like looking at what my friends have been doing - the only reasons my account is still open.

Last edited:
Have never been on it. The contemporary need for "kudos" etc I must admit to finding odd and very very possibly harmful. Only a matter of time before gravestones start highlighting it in dayglo, together with grand totals of their 15,000 cchat posts in 8 months. And usb ports for passing folk to download data and stats from.

Venod

Eh up
I closed my Strava account last year and rode for a long time without it, I am now back on it, In the winter I did a lot of turbo rides using GPS files, with a smart trainer the times are very close to real life times, I like to compare them on Strava, I have bagged a few KOM's (downhill) on the turbo, but I hide these from the leaders boards so they don't register, I beat all the pros on a downhill segment on Majorca sat in my garage, Strava is good if not taken too seriously, but are downhill segments encouraging dangerous cycling ? most of us know when to back off when descending, but pushing it a little to gain a KOM could be dangerous.

KenDave

Regular
PS the Strava app on phones is way off what a real GPS device records...
One of my three KOMs is mainly a result of this phenomenon rather than my incredible speed and power.
It's not actually true that Strava on the phone app is necessarily rubbish. I think it depends on the phone. I ran the Android Strava app along side a well calibrated Cateye cycle computer for several years, and the recorded distance was always very close.
When I recently got a Garmin Edge 520, on my first ride I used the Garmin, the Strava phone app, as well as the Cateye. All three devices gave exactly the same distance. (Albeit only over about 35 miles). Also, when checking a whole bunch of Strava segments, the times given by both the Garmin and the phone app were all very close. (The largest difference I could find was 2 seconds, most were 0 or 1 second different).

Alan O

Über Member
...but are downhill segments encouraging dangerous cycling ? most of us know when to back off when descending, but pushing it a little to gain a KOM could be dangerous.
All of my most reckless and dangerous cycling moments happened when cycling downhill - but it was long before Strava was invented, and I'd have thought the beauty of a real hill is surely far more tempting than a fake one sitting on a turbo.

But having said that, I recall a friend who used to play a motorcycling computer game, but he gave it up after he almost crashed on a real ride when trying a risky overtake - in his mind he had briefly slipped into game mode.

Alan O

Über Member
It's not actually true that Strava on the phone app is necessarily rubbish. I think it depends on the phone.
Yes, it must surely depend on the quality of the GPS on the phone - the app has no chance if the data it's being fed is poor. I've ridden the same rides using my fitbit with GPS and using Strava on my iPhone (sometimes simultaneously), and they've always come in very close to each other (and very close to what other people record on other devices).

bpsmith

Veteran
All of my most reckless and dangerous cycling moments happened when cycling downhill - but it was long before Strava was invented.
This statement says it all. People who hate Strava are always stating how dangerous it has become, as if it’s solely down to Strava.

The reality is, us downhill fans were born this way, not mutated as a result of Strava. :smile:

Milzy

Guru
I have a thread about a guy who deletes his Strava account every week and starts a new one. It’s because he’s not happy with his level of fitness and he’s scared of people looking at his performances.

bpsmith

Veteran
I have a thread about a guy who deletes his Strava account every week and starts a new one. It’s because he’s not happy with his level of fitness and he’s scared of people looking at his performances.
Lol

There are some strange people out there. I am not denying that. I am just denying that we’re not ALL like that, despite some people’s views.

wajc

Veteran
Yes, it must surely depend on the quality of the GPS on the phone - the app has no chance if the data it's being fed is poor. I've ridden the same rides using my fitbit with GPS and using Strava on my iPhone (sometimes simultaneously), and they've always come in very close to each other (and very close to what other people record on other devices).

I've always found that the Strava App compares well with my Garmin 500.

It's best to have your Garmin set to 1 sec recording rather than smart recording. Smart recording takes measurements based on your speed/any change of direction and I've seen up to 10 second recording intervals. This means that there is a potential for segment times to have bigger time differences between the two.

PS the Strava app on phones is way off what a real GPS device records...
This was going to be a question of mine, i use a garmin800 but thenyou have to get your laptop out to uplad it, so on my 2 rides lately ive used my phone as well. Will there be a massive difference?

Venod

Eh up
i use a garmin800 but thenyou have to get your laptop out to uplad it

Get the Garmin Connect app for your phone and link it to your Garmin800, it then uploads automatically and if you link your Garmin Connect to Strava it uploads to that too.
It works with my 520 not sure about the 800, it also shows phone messages on your Garmin screen if you want that,I find it annoying so don't use that feature.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
It's not actually true that Strava on the phone app is necessarily rubbish. I think it depends on the phone. I ran the Android Strava app along side a well calibrated Cateye cycle computer for several years, and the recorded distance was always very close.

Just to confuse things even further though, I use Strava and MapMyRide, and also Cateye computers on 2 of my bikes. I find MMR and the computers very close, but Strava is almost always out of sync with them. My average speed is nearly always 0.4 mph slower on Strava than with the others, occasionally it is out by more or less than that margin. As I use MMR and Strava on the same phone, I guess it is an issue with the apps rather than the phone. It doesn't matter whether I use them alone or run them simultaneously, the difference is always there, and autopause is always on.

Strava is a more social thing than MMR, but I can see why people say it draws them into a competitive mindset, which is perhaps why I use MMR as well because it tells me I am quicker, despite knowing I am not a particularly fast cyclist.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The data from the phones vs a Garmin are quite out especially off road. Strava app over estimates, whilst the Garmin Device says a bit less. Having run my phone and Garmin's at the same time some years ago to compare, the phone app was more "generous" with the speed/distance.

I'd rather not hammer my phone's battery on a 4-5 hour ride in the middle of no-where. The 705 does the job.

Top Bottom